Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Ruru, I have also decided I am not quite ready for eggs, but you watch... they'll start laying just because of that. We also mucked out in the warmer weather and let them run around a bit. I feed mine 'greens' or fresh/green food everyday. Piggies. I do have one pair, young, that has gone from hissing to hiding. I hope to let them all out for a bit today so the sunshine and exercise might help them feel inspired. I know I hate being cooped in. Usually this is the week sap buckets are put up but not here just yet. This week is still supposed to be cold so maybe next week.

Finny,
I collect for 7 days, then put the eggs from that week in the bator, and do this each week. I have a hatcher, so I can do staggered hatches in my bator. Each week some go in the bator and each week some go from bator to hatcher. Good luck!

YAY! THE FIRST SET IS ON THE WAY!

My first set of sebbie eggs are on the way! I'm expecting another set from another breeder, but not sure when that will be (they are the ones I paid for last year). But I have some on the way now. Incubator is warming up in the closet with two thermometers and a hygrometer. Got the postal scale out and calibrated so I can weigh the eggs, and the brooder will be free of baby chicks soon so I can scrub that and bleach it out. Got Pete's guide bookmarked, and I'll probably buy another thermometer/hygrometer here in a few when I head to Tractor Supply for chick feed.

I'm so excited! I've owned geese before, but NEVER sebbies! Can't wait to see all of the curly feathers growing in!

Last edited:
If you keep taking the eggs away from the females they will keep laying for a much longer time until they feel they have a full clutch of eggs....
frow.gif

Yes, but what happens at the end of the breeding season if they still have no eggs in the nest?

Yes, but what happens at the end of the breeding season if they still have no eggs in the nest?
If you want them to go broody all you do is stop collecting the eggs and let her finish laying what she feels is a good clutch and she will go broody. I is up to the person on how long they want to collect or if the want the goose to go broody and stop laying. That simple!
wink.png

If you want them to go broody all you do is stop collecting the eggs and let her finish laying what she feels is a good clutch and she will go broody. I is up to the person on how long they want to collect or if the want the goose to go broody and stop laying. That simple!
wink.png
And if you collected the last weeks eggs and she stops laying, then you can give them back to her!

YAY! THE FIRST SET IS ON THE WAY!

My first set of sebbie eggs are on the way! I'm expecting another set from another breeder, but not sure when that will be (they are the ones I paid for last year). But I have some on the way now. Incubator is warming up in the closet with two thermometers and a hygrometer. Got the postal scale out and calibrated so I can weigh the eggs, and the brooder will be free of baby chicks soon so I can scrub that and bleach it out. Got Pete's guide bookmarked, and I'll probably buy another thermometer/hygrometer here in a few when I head to Tractor Supply for chick feed.

I'm so excited! I've owned geese before, but NEVER sebbies! Can't wait to see all of the curly feathers growing in!
Who did you order from? I just ordered some also from a lady on here...

The first set is coming from "sandiklaws" and the second set is coming from "big bird". I'm also pondering some saddleback goslings from another source.

An ex pen is quite possibly the most useful tool to have with chickens. I use them all the time. Plan on getting a few more. Get the 4 foot model so they can't easily hop out. I use them when the state tester comes, to sun chicks outside on nice days, to introduce new birds (I make a "room" in the coop for a few days), to hold birds waiting their turn for medicating or bathing, for stud breeding, for quarantine, for photos... they really are a fantastic tool for anybody raising show poultry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom