Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Aw, that is sooo cool and exciting! I am Sherry Smith on the fb groups too! I see you in both places. :) These are the curly girls from Shellie in FL? Is that right? They sure are gorgeous!
Yes, Sherry these two buff adults are from Shellie and she told me to keep these two. I do have people waiting for buffs but I come first with my first hatch. I have more eggs in the incubators and we shall see what hatches.

Yes, Sherry these two buff adults are from Shellie and she told me to keep these two. I do have people waiting for buffs but I come first with my first hatch. I have more eggs in the incubators and we shall see what hatches.
That is great! I always hold a few babies back to see how they turn out too! They are so adorable!!

I have a gander that just arrived who is flipping over. He hisses and reaches back instead of out front of him and flips over. The woman who brought him swears he wasn't doing that before the box and I believe her. What can I do to help correct this?

I have a gander that just arrived who is flipping over. He hisses and reaches back instead of out front of him and flips over. The woman who brought him swears he wasn't doing that before the box and I believe her. What can I do to help correct this?

I don't have a lot of experience with geese, but my goose does this whenever my father comes around. She's terrified of adult men. She hisses and reaches her neck all the way across her back and flips over.

Perhaps it's just the stress of a new environment? Hopefully he'll get over it soon.

Hello!! I posted in the Sebastopol Breeding thread too but I have 2 pair of white Sebastopol's! My geese are last year(2013) March-April hatch and my ganders are June-July hatch! My girls are on their second laying period, they layed for the month of December when they were about 8-9 months old and the boys were 5 or 6 months old and there were no fertile eggs! I thought it was probably because they weren't mature yet and didn't know what they were doing! But at least one of my girls have been laying for 3 weeks now and there have been no fertile eggs! I just put 2 in so I don't know about those yet but I mean after 6+ eggs that have not been fertile I'm concerned! The boys are 9-10 months old now and I know they are male!!! I vent sexed because I had that sexing problem already! I bought my two boys who were supposed to be vet vent sexed females and after a bit I checked myself and they were 100% not female! Bought them because I thought I had two boys, but they both turned out to be girls! So I had that sexing problem but it turned out to be perfect and fixed my problem quite quickly!

What are some reasons why they aren't fertile? Should I cut vent feathers? I had that problem with my Jersey Giant chickens because my girl had such a fluffy butt! once I cut vent feathers fertility is 100%! I read that some people do and that some recommend doing it, but I also read that it doesn't matter and lots of people don't!

Like I said before I know for sure I have two males and two females! Any info or knowledge from experience or papers will be greatly appreciated! I looked in December but couldn't find much more then vent fluff cutting and maturity! but even then I questioned myself because I know males usually mature faster than females! Ugghhh soo frustrating! lol!

Plus I have a Chinese goose and gander with them, I'm not to worried about my Chinese gander doing the job..... he rather be with humans and stands on them sideways... but my Chinese goose has been laying and I'm pretty sure they can cross breed (Please correct me if I'm wrong) but even her eggs aren't fertile and she is 'easier' to get at then my Fluff Ball seebee's! So nothing's happening in the fertilization department right now for any of my geese!!

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for your words of wisdom and help! I always get many wonderful and helpful info from BYC members and it's so nice to be able to turn to other breeders and enthusiasts who have experience and knowledge and who love their birds/babies as much as me! And it helps because I'm a 17 year old breeder, have been doing this since I could walk and have learned things most people never will, but now that I'm getting into fancier and many diff breeds this site helps a lot!
bow.gif
love.gif

I don't have a lot of experience with geese, but my goose does this whenever my father comes around. She's terrified of adult men. She hisses and reaches her neck all the way across her back and flips over.

Perhaps it's just the stress of a new environment? Hopefully he'll get over it soon.

Thank you for this response. I have never seen this in a goose and its clearly not what I expected. It certainly concerns me, esp when put into the framework of his former flock rejecting him or at least not letting him mate anyone. I put him out in a pen and let him walk around after some gentle chiropractic at the base of the neck. I hope he's just weird-- not that I need more of that, but at least he might have a chance of staying and breeding and becoming a nice goose. Other wise I might have to name him Greg Louganis or something for all these back flips.

Also... I have seven eggs in the incubator which I just checked: all are developing. Great news. Till I remember that my Pomeranian Saddleback won't let anyone else mate in the yard! He is right over there heckling them. I had tried to separate the few I have here but they kept flying or climbing the fences! Or standing there longing at the fence which wasn't doing it either. I have had to accept that I am going to get what I get this year and may now be at the beginning of a long 'remake' of a saddleback Seb flock instead of two flocks: Pom and Seb.

I also realized that not raising my own geese, buying stock and what not to get this started, is a pia. The geese are never as nice and friendly as you want them to be. The ones I raised here are fine but the others act like I am a flying purple goose eater.

Back
Top Bottom