Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

My three week old sebbie has a small hole the size of a pea in the webbing of one foot. Will that close up over time?

Probably not. Some breeders actually use a toe punch to mark babies from each line. They put a different number of holes in different places on the feet to indicate the lineage of the birds.

So lily passed monday morning in my arms. I was so devastated. Cried for a good hour. We still have our three goslings. One stands about 2 feet tall... Were happy they are still with us.

I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

We have babies!
ya.gif
They started hatching in the last 24. There are three so far, though one looks like a Pom. Everything will be saddle if I am not mistaken. I would be glad if I were as a few whites would be very welcome.

I want to share that I did feel a little guilty taking the goslings. I am hoping you will all reassure me that they are much more human friendly this way. I have to say that my experiences all lead me to say they are. I have raised chickens, ducks and geese by hand and everyone that I did is much much more friendly and approachable and manageable than any raised by their parents. I should note that those babies then raised by parents I raised are also brought to us by the mommas and that makes them intermediate in their comfort with us. I have children here who work the animals with me and I want them all friendly as can be so that when it comes to the kids and teaching we are all safe. With all this said, an experienced goose keeper, who does not have kids, made me feel very bad after sharing with them that I had these goslings. They felt I had done something wrong by taking them and now that is in the back of my mind. Responses here, please? Gentle ones, honest, but gentle please because I really do love my geese.

As beautiful as it watching mother animals nurture and raise the babies, geese are so overprotective that if I don't take them, they become far more nervous around people than necessary. I too love my animals and need them to be friendly. If you bought the babies without the parents, you would raise them in the same manner, so I see no shame or harm in choosing to raise them in this manner if that is your preference. Geese raised by people as pets are not worse off than those raised by parent geese. I would be more inclined to use nervous or less trusting geese to feed my family and friendlier geese kept around as pets/breeders.....I'm just saying.....

Congrats! And enjoy!
wee.gif

We have babies!
ya.gif
They started hatching in the last 24. There are three so far, though one looks like a Pom. Everything will be saddle if I am not mistaken. I would be glad if I were as a few whites would be very welcome.

I want to share that I did feel a little guilty taking the goslings. I am hoping you will all reassure me that they are much more human friendly this way. I have to say that my experiences all lead me to say they are. I have raised chickens, ducks and geese by hand and everyone that I did is much much more friendly and approachable and manageable than any raised by their parents. I should note that those babies then raised by parents I raised are also brought to us by the mommas and that makes them intermediate in their comfort with us. I have children here who work the animals with me and I want them all friendly as can be so that when it comes to the kids and teaching we are all safe. With all this said, an experienced goose keeper, who does not have kids, made me feel very bad after sharing with them that I had these goslings. They felt I had done something wrong by taking them and now that is in the back of my mind. Responses here, please? Gentle ones, honest, but gentle please because I really do love my geese.
Hi ashandvine. Each one must do it his way. I cannot take the gozzies away from the parent birds, as the parents get so distraut. However, all my geese allow me to pick up the babies without much more than a hiss, so once they remember that I won´t hurt them or anything, I can just go and help myself, pick them up, etc, and they stay pretty tame.
For instance, i have some now that are about 10 or 11 months, and I can just touch them, stroke them if I wish. And these are geese that I bought roaming free-range from a frarm, unused to people interacting with them, apart from feed-time. There´s no way I could take the gozzies away, they´d go spare.
However, if I wanted to, I would go and get the babies once they pip or are still wet and the goose hasn´t bonded as yet, and bring some in, and then leave others out there with the parents. I do this if I need to, but if all´s good then I leave them be. I imagine this is what you´re doing with yours, as I assume she´s still sat on some eggs. Maybe you could leave her a couple? See how they go.
Last year I had to bring in two goslings, at separate times, that had problems, and I sneaked them up to the house, holding the bill shut so they couldn´t make a noise for the parents to hear, and put them in the back of the house out of hearing range!
My kids are grown, but I can take anyone´s kids down to visit the geese and they´re no problem at all. I´m just really soppy with my geese. I leave them in their chosen pairs, even though it´d be better to breed them differently. There ya go, all different.

Back
Top Bottom