Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I need some help with a sick sebastopol goose. She is 3 years old and has been extremely healthy until now. Last week, I noticed some drainage from her eyes but no other respiratory issues. Her eyes seemed to be sinking, if that makes sense. The blue iris seemed to be lower and lower, below her bottom lid and now I can't see them at all. She is blind at this point. I started her on an opthamalic ointment last week and added Tylan to the drinking water. She gets around fine, but I know she doesn't feel well. The gander is taking good care of her, walking her to the water and food. But I'm not sure how much she is actually eating. Any ideas what this could be? I've never seen anything like it. It happened really fast and I'm thinking infection of some sort. The other goose is fine. They are with ducks and chickens also.

I need some help with a sick sebastopol goose. She is 3 years old and has been extremely healthy until now. Last week, I noticed some drainage from her eyes but no other respiratory issues. Her eyes seemed to be sinking, if that makes sense. The blue iris seemed to be lower and lower, below her bottom lid and now I can't see them at all. She is blind at this point. I started her on an opthamalic ointment last week and added Tylan to the drinking water. She gets around fine, but I know she doesn't feel well. The gander is taking good care of her, walking her to the water and food. But I'm not sure how much she is actually eating. Any ideas what this could be? I've never seen anything like it. It happened really fast and I'm thinking infection of some sort. The other goose is fine. They are with ducks and chickens also.
Her eyes seem to be sinking-could that be related to her face swelling?

Yes, I actually think it looks like swelling in the top of her head. What can I do for her? Any idea what could be causing this? She was laying eggs, but has stopped. So far, the eggs look to be infertile.

OMG Joy that is the same thing my poor Sebastopol goose Amy had 2 years ago
hit.gif

I spent a fortune at the vet trying to figure out what was wrong with her but we couldn't find anything. We did tons of testing and all sorts of meds but nothing worked. It started in one eye and then the other and eventually gave her lock jaw
hit.gif
I syringe fed her for a month but the lockjaw got so bad I couldn't get anything in her and she passed.

My vet did all sorts of tests and couldn't find anything medically wrong- he felt it might have been either heavy metal poisoining (from possibly a screw or something ingested) or something genetic.

We did an anti inflammatory, a few different antibiotic's and then eventually Baytril with no results. Our last ditch effort was for an anti fungal but she passed before I could get any in her.

Whatever it was it started right at her first year of laying. It was not contagious and no other geese got sick thank goodness . I pray you find the answer and your goose gets better
hugs.gif

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds identical to my situation. I'm so sorry you lost your goose. I'm really worried about mine, especially because my gander is so very attached to her. He will be devastated if she doesn't make it. The antibiotics don't seem to be helping so I've started using essential oils on her as well. I'm currently putting Frankincense on her head daily. It is great for inflammation so I'm hoping it may help. I'm also wondering if she has had some type of head injury. There are no marks but her head appears to be swollen and that would explain the eye placement. I've had no luck in my research of goose diseases, nothing seems to fit. The other birds are fine, it's just her and it happened pretty quick.

TheSpoiledChicken - do you remember if you tried doxycycline (tetracycline)? I'm leaning towards Psittacosis after reading the symptoms. It's the only one that states ocular discharge and swelling.

Not Psittacosis. My vet is an avian vet who also handles my parrots and said no to psittacosis.

We did a couple of different antibiotics and covered all bases but they didn't help at all. The anti-inflammatory didn't help either.

Honestly the only thing I didn't get to give her that could have made a difference was the anti fungal. I did an online consult with a vet who handles a lot of geese hoping maybe he could think of something my vet was overlooking and he recommended I try an anti fungal. By the time I filled the script and got home she had already passed.

I still have the medicine in my fridge untouched. It was prescribed by a vet for her and has the label stating the same with correct dosage for a goose if you want to give it a try. (can't hurt?)

I just looked at the label- it is Sporanox 10 mg/ml give 1.5 ml by mouth 2x a day. You are more than welcome to my bottle if you want it.

Back
Top Bottom