Seems like it took FOREVER!!

I really wish I had banded my girls legs. They all look too much alike. Out of my 8, I have Tara and Wendy, I did band them because they were my first 2. (left leg Tara, left-Tara-4 letters, Wendy is banded on her right leg lol) Then when I got the other six, they were all 7 weeks old. One had really crooked toes, and I think she was my first layer, but other than that, I can't tell them much apart! Lol

Ours are all banded (except 1 rir who managed to get hers off). We only banded because we were trying to determine who would go to the fair and who wouldn't and it helped as we were taking notes. Our 2 EE's are the same color (sort of black and gold) but Allie has the fluffy face like an araucauna and pheonix has the smooth clean looking face.

Because of the poultry ban due to avian flu, no one went to the fair but I do think it has helped us to sort out each girl's quirks and personalities. I feel like we know them on a more personal level if that makes sense. I'm glad we banded them and I will continue to do so with future flock additions.

Thank you for the info......I will try my best to patiently wait for my girls to mature and have combs, waddles, do squats, and produce eggies!

I have had 2 repeat layers lay today (their 3rd day laying) and 3 first eggs today! Seems wierd getting 5 eggs so far today after waiting 4 1/2 months of nothing! I am so excited! And they taste amazing and all the shells are nice and hard so far!

I have had 2 repeat layers lay today (their 3rd day laying) and 3 first eggs today! Seems wierd getting 5 eggs so far today after waiting 4 1/2 months of nothing! I am so excited! And they taste amazing and all the shells are nice and hard so far!

That's awesome. I know what you mean. I got 3 again today, look exactly like yesterdays, after 6 straight days of just one a day. Lovin it!

Its true. Once you have fresh eggs those white grocery store eggs just don't cut it. Mine were the same way. Once the first one layed the rest were right behind her.

That's so awesome for you! How exciting! I'm jealous, though. Im still in the 4-and-a-half months of waiting stage. Although hopefully only 4 and a bit months- I can hardly wait for my girls to start laying! Once the lazy freeloaders start 'paying rent', though, I'm sure the wait will be worth it. And Pinkmartin73, I really hope mine will do the same thing. It would be crazy -crazy awesome!!!- to have my six lay for the first time all over a few days. So excited, and congratulations to other people, and their hens, for their first/ umpteenth eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom