Seems like it took FOREVER!!

My first 2 were only 21 months apart. And yeah, they fought constantly. They also schemed together a lot too. It used to make me mad but I realize now that it gave them a shared goal. It made them a team. I'm glad now that they had that. The last one we all spoiled and are now paying the price for it. He's so lazy! Without him my cancer would have gone undetected. The older kids knew that without him I may not be here. I can honestly say my kids all love each other. That's the true test of good parenting to me.
I do agree mine did the same things and when they stick together I and my husband are very proud. Anyway, I am sorry to hear you have cancer. Are you ok?

My last biopsies were a few years ago. I had some precancer but it was low enough we decided to just keep an eye on it. Then I lost insurance. Still don't have insurance so I guess for now, I'm probably ok. Still kickin anyway.

One of mine did that several days in a row.  I started letting them out of the coop a little earlier and she hasn't done it since.  I'm happy for you it finally has a shell though!

Since our run is completely enclosed, we don't close the coop at night anymore. I put in a temporary nest lower to the ground today. Waiting to see what happens tomorrow.

My last biopsies were a few years ago. I had some precancer but it was low enough we decided to just keep an eye on it. Then I lost insurance. Still don't have insurance so I guess for now, I'm probably ok. Still kickin anyway.

Do you mind sharing???? I have four boys that fight fight fight but pull together when it needs to be and the baby..... So many years younger is spoiled and has three older brothers and me and my fiancé to cater to him... If you don't mind sharing.... What kind of cancer and how did you detect it. Lots of love and prayers to you.

Do you mind sharing???? I have four boys that fight fight fight but pull together when it needs to be and the baby..... So many years younger is spoiled and has three older brothers and me and my fiancé to cater to him... If you don't mind sharing.... What kind of cancer and how did you detect it. Lots of love and prayers to you.

The fighting doesn't matter, they will eventually outgrow that. The pulling together when it matters is what counts. They will carry that with them forever. And yeah, my last 2 were 9 years apart. He really is spoiled! I had no symptoms that I had cancer. My youngest was born so fast that my ob couldn't get there in time. The Dr on call at the hospital delivered him. The guy barely spoke english and I had never met him. During the delivery he saw something that concerned him. As soon as my son was out that Dr took a bunch of biopsies. I had cancer/precancer in all my female organs. Cervix, vulva,uterus. I had my yearly ck ups on time every time. Never missed a pap. It had never shown up. Had I not "accidentally" gotten pregnant, had my usual OB been at the hospital, I may not ever have known. I had my 1st surgery when my baby was 2 months old. Many many many surgeries over the next 6 years. He just turned 12. My last biopsies were about 3 yrs ago. I'm supposed to go every 6 months. I just can't afford health ins. And don't qualify for help. I was told to divorce my husband and I could have free healthcare... And no home lol Thanks for the support.

Looking at her other end.... Could be pullet. Tail feathers are looking girlish. I bet in a couple weeks it will be easy to say for sure. My rir girls still have a few black feathers

X2. After seeing her back end, does look more girly

Big news! The mystery egg has a shell today! She still laid on the roost and it of course landed in poop... But it has a shell! We are making progress! Now to figure out how to get her to lay in the box. Maybe she doesn't like the boxes off the ground? Maybe build a lower one? Idk?

Got 2 of those this morning!

Since our run is completely enclosed, we don't close the coop at night anymore. I put in a temporary nest lower to the ground today. Waiting to see what happens tomorrow.

I leave the coop open too. There are usually a few already out in the run when I go out, usually at about dawn.

The fighting doesn't matter, they will eventually outgrow that. The pulling together when it matters is what counts. They will carry that with them forever. And yeah, my last 2 were 9 years apart. He really is spoiled! I had no symptoms that I had cancer. My youngest was born so fast that my ob couldn't get there in time. The Dr on call at the hospital delivered him. The guy barely spoke english and I had never met him. During the delivery he saw something that concerned him. As soon as my son was out that Dr took a bunch of biopsies. I had cancer/precancer in all my female organs. Cervix, vulva,uterus. I had my yearly ck ups on time every time. Never missed a pap. It had never shown up. Had I not "accidentally" gotten pregnant, had my usual OB been at the hospital, I may not ever have known. I had my 1st surgery when my baby was 2 months old. Many many many surgeries over the next 6 years. He just turned 12. My last biopsies were about 3 yrs ago. I'm supposed to go every 6 months. I just can't afford health ins. And don't qualify for help. I was told to divorce my husband and I could have free healthcare... And no home lol Thanks for the support.

Nice catch! Glad you are ok!
And geez, what kind of advice is that for health ins!?!! But I think there are some who would take that advice. Ugh!

X2. After seeing her back end, does look more girly
Got 2 of those this morning!
I leave the coop open too. There are usually a few already out in the run when I go out, usually at about dawn.
Nice catch! Glad you are ok!
And geez, what kind of advice is that for health ins!?!! But I think there are some who would take that advice. Ugh!

That was the local welfare office that told me that. And I know people who have taken the advice. Single men who choose not to work get food stamps and insurance. That's what makes me mad. My husband works full time but cant afford family ins. Even with me working I didn't make enough to offset the cost of healthcare. I didn't used to care much about politics even tho I always vote. This experience has changed that. I still hate politics but I pay a lot more attention to what politicians do. I was told that my cancer will continue to come back. Each time it will likely be more aggressive. I'm sure its growing even now. Just nothing I can do but live my life fully. I don't leave much unsaid anymore.

:he Eggs had finally normalized. Have gotten up to 9 normal eggs/day. (Now have 9 laying out of 11) Some still small but nice hard shells. One of the new girls is laying every other day. The other hasn't laid since I got her. Kind of concerned but she seems ok otherwise. Things going pretty decent.

Then this morning I go out to feed. The only 2 eggs I found were soft and laying under the roost! What the heck??

To recap their diet. I had been feeding FF made with all flock. And free choice oyster shell. After getting 1 soft egg/daily I started mixing my FF with 4 parts layer feed to 2 parts all flock. Still offering free choice oyster shell. Also, I have a dry feeder full of layer crumble available free choice too. Some of the girls eat both FF and dry. There is ALWAYS activity around the oyster shell too.

Everyone has been doing great laying in the nest boxes. Especially since I added another one. Its actually large enough for 2 girls and I sometimes do have 2 in it.

Why am I suddenly back to soft eggs under the roost? I don't even give treats until late afternoon. I want them to get the bulk of their nutrition from the feed, not treats. What am I missing????

he.gif
Eggs had finally normalized. Have gotten up to 9 normal eggs/day. (Now have 9 laying out of 11) Some still small but nice hard shells. One of the new girls is laying every other day. The other hasn't laid since I got her. Kind of concerned but she seems ok otherwise. Things going pretty decent.

Then this morning I go out to feed. The only 2 eggs I found were soft and laying under the roost! What the heck??

To recap their diet. I had been feeding FF made with all flock. And free choice oyster shell. After getting 1 soft egg/daily I started mixing my FF with 4 parts layer feed to 2 parts all flock. Still offering free choice oyster shell. Also, I have a dry feeder full of layer crumble available free choice too. Some of the girls eat both FF and dry. There is ALWAYS activity around the oyster shell too.

Everyone has been doing great laying in the nest boxes. Especially since I added another one. Its actually large enough for 2 girls and I sometimes do have 2 in it.

Why am I suddenly back to soft eggs under the roost? I don't even give treats until late afternoon. I want them to get the bulk of their nutrition from the feed, not treats. What am I missing????

I wish I could help you, but I don't have an answer, and hope someone else does. I suspect its just that they are new to laying. I was gone for the weekend, and came back to 9 beautiful eggs in the nest box, (2 days of laying) so I know I have a new layer, or 2. But I also found some runny stuff under the roost, so I think they ate that one (or more). The only ones I have found under the roost have been soft, which is to be expected with new layers. That is, until I found this one under the roost this morning!
Biggest one I have gotten yet. 76.5 grams.

Whoa! That's a big egg! One of my soft ones this morning was broken and partially eaten too. I went back out this afternoon and found 7 more eggs. One was on the ground with a little hole in it like someone pecked at it. It was also weird colored. Mostly off whitish. Wondering if its the little bantam but I don't know how big her eggs should be. I guess I thought hers would be tinier. Including the 2 soft eggs, today's total is 10. We have 11 girls now. Just wish I knew if the problem is too little calcium or inexperience.

Back
Top Bottom