Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

The partially dominant Andalusian blue (not self blue, which is based on recessive lavender gene) affects black, as you know. A black bird is bl/bl, a blue bird is Bl/bl, and two copies of blue makes splash, Bl/Bl.

If you cross a black bird bl/bl to a blue bird Bl/bl, you will have your typical punnet square of 50% Bl/bl blues and 50% bl/bl blacks.

If you cross Bl/bl blue x Bl/bl blue, you get a different outcome. 25% Bl/Bl splash, 50% Bl/bl blue, and 25% bl/bl black.

If you cross Bl/Bl x Bl/Bl, you will have 100% splash. If you cross Bl/Bl splash x bl/bl black, you will get 100% blue. If you cross Bl/Bl splash x Bl/bl blue, you will get 50% splash and 50% blue.

Because andalusian blue gene is partially dominant, you can never get blues to breed true. Only blacks or splashes can breed true.

Self blue is different. It is a recessive gene called lavender. It affect both black and red pigments. If you have a self blue, it is a black bird with two copies of recessive lavender gene, lav/lav. Lavender-based colors breed true. lav/lav x lav/lav = 100% lav

Cross self blue lav/lav x black Lav/Lav, and you will get 100% Black birds that carry lavender gene, Lav/lav. Because lavender is recessive, they will show no signs of being carriers. However, if you now take two lav carriers and breed them together, Lav/lav x Lav/lav you will get 25% black Lav/Lav, 50% Black lavender carriers, and 25% lav/lav.
I'd seen someone on another thread I think it was say about using a black roo to clean up something about the feathers in their self-blue or lavender as they called them. I can't recall what thread, who, or what specifically it was. It makes sense as to why to use them. I love my black roo...he's such a sweet thing so if I could have his temperment pass down to others that'd be awesome.

So, for learning, I should cross the self-blue to my black cockerel? Fully understand that neither the self-blue nor my black may be show quality. I'm starting with what I have to learn the genetics, identifying, etc. That's part of why I'm wanting to breed the self-blue because they're still fairly rare. I'd been hoping I had a pair to start with, but I've got 2 little pullets. Unless 1 of them is planning a surprise.

The fun, project colors I do admit are interesting too. That's where the splash, mixes come into mind. I do have a white cochin roo too, but he had a feather with a bit of color/pattern to it for whatever is hiding behind his white. I like how he handles my other roos, he's kind of the playground monitor for the yard, & his personality so I can't bear the idea of parting with him.

Self blues are not a standard color in cochins yet, so really none of them are quite show quality yet, so it's a perfect color for you to start with. To improve this color, get a show quality black cochin.

They are not as hard to find as you may think. Check cochins international Facebook group. Or go to a bigger show and see what's for sale. Or you may be able to find a good show breeder on this board. Be patient. Quality is worth it. Soon you may become pretty well known yourself for nice self blues. In a few years, when there are enough breeders with show quality self blues, they may be added to the standards.

Meanwhile you can show project colors, like your self blues, under "any other variety".

Splash is a standard color now, so you can pick up some show quality ones or breed blues to your black to start your own.

Self blues are not a standard color in cochins yet, so really none of them are quite show quality yet, so it's a perfect color for you to start with. To improve this color, get a show quality black cochin.

They are not as hard to find as you may think. Check cochins international Facebook group. Or go to a bigger show and see what's for sale. Or you may be able to find a good show breeder on this board. Be patient. Quality is worth it. Soon you may become pretty well known yourself for nice self blues. In a few years, when there are enough breeders with show quality self blues, they may be added to the standards.

Meanwhile you can show project colors, like your self blues, under "any other variety".

Splash is a standard color now, so you can pick up some show quality ones or breed blues to your black to start your own.
Thank you. Our state fair is next week for the poultry show. I'm hoping to make it there. My black is 6 months old so I'm not sure how he'll finish out. I know he's not as round as I've seen many are. I've been told too that until their first molt happens their full feathering doesn't show. Either way....he's not going anywhere. He's 1 of my yard buddies....though he doesn't follow me as much since he found his little group & girls. lol

Have to get updated pics, but I just caught 1 of my self blue girls laying. I've found 2 bantam eggs already & was thinking it was my older girl starting back up. Nope, it's the baby with hatch date of 6-29. I've a different shaped egg than what she laid today so I'm going to have to see if I catch anyone else. My black cockerel who's 9 months is so on the job! He was watching her the whole time then stayed with her to get food & water. Time comes hope I'll get some nice babies & that temperament passed along too. I want to wait until next summer for first molt, year old time frame. Plus, until I get an incubator it's broody hens. Which is something I do want so a flock can keep itself going. Just had to share.

My self blue/ lavender Cochin pullet wisteria went broody today. My partridge Cochin was already broody

Aww are you breeding them yet? She's still young isn't she? I'm weighing eggs & checking for the bullseye when I cook them. Until I have separate pens it'll be take your guess mixes if any go broody. Even my older hens haven't. Think I need a silkie & a LF broody. Have to research that.

Back
Top Bottom