Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Aww are you breeding them yet? She's still young isn't she? I'm weighing eggs & checking for the bullseye when I cook them. Until I have separate pens it'll be take your guess mixes if any go broody. Even my older hens haven't. Think I need a silkie & a LF broody. Have to research that.

No, I don't think I'm going to breed her. Yes she is young, was hatched April 2016. And False Alarm she was not broody but I had never seen her on the nest before, but she screamed and pecked at me.

Last edited:
I think she is, so if she goes broody it will be terrible. I have a broody right now that is pretty nice, doesn't peck, nicer than wisteria laying. (Wisteria is the lavender cranky layer)

Maybe it's a blue trait? My lil blue is a bit cranky. Makes me wonder if penguin is guarding to keep others away for her or the others benefit. I did catch one of the ameraucanas sticking her head in several days ago. Then the other day penguin is roosting on the box blocking entry. This nest box is an old covered cat box. If I let anyone brood in it I'll have to cut down the front or build up the floor in it & put steps-ramp outside as I think it's too high for young chicks. I did see some crates at Dollar tree that look to be a good size for bantam girls. Cut down the front. I've been using dishpans, but not certain if should cut down the front on those either. Probably should.

Maybe it's a blue trait? My lil blue is a bit cranky. Makes me wonder if penguin is guarding to keep others away for her or the others benefit. I did catch one of the ameraucanas sticking her head in several days ago. Then the other day penguin is roosting on the box blocking entry. This nest box is an old covered cat box. If I let anyone brood in it I'll have to cut down the front or build up the floor in it & put steps-ramp outside as I think it's too high for young chicks. I did see some crates at Dollar tree that look to be a good size for bantam girls. Cut down the front. I've been using dishpans, but not certain if should cut down the front on those either. Probably should.

My nest boxes are up high and when I let my marshmallow hatch chicks I moved her to a different pen by herself and put the eggs in a corner on the ground and she sat on them. But before I did that she never used the nest boxes, always would lay her eggs in a corner on the ground. She uses the nest boxes now.

My nest boxes are up high and when I let my marshmallow hatch chicks I moved her to a different pen by herself and put the eggs in a corner on the ground and she sat on them. But before I did that she never used the nest boxes, always would lay her eggs in a corner on the ground. She uses the nest boxes now.

I've 3 dishpans that are in the 2nd level of a 2 story ferret cage. I'm planning on making some breeding pens. I don't want anyone of the girls I have to hatch theirs until they're a year old. I've read it can help with hatching rates. Plus, I should have better idea of how they'll look as hopefully they'll be thru the first molt.

My birchen is looking great. I'm wondering what crossing him with a self blue would produce.

Sorry for the dirty glass, but it's the most recent pic I have with his head. I was actually thinking of selling him, but now I'm not so sure if I should.

I know this post is old but I picked up some bantams at tractor supply as I wanted something different this go. I am absolutely in love with one which I can’t identify. Could this be somewhat of a similar breed? He may be a rooster as he has little pink wattles at 4 weeks. Sweetest one of all my chicks.

Attachments

• 6F9DA5E1-D96F-40C6-8486-3FCC32B2B268.jpeg
    6F9DA5E1-D96F-40C6-8486-3FCC32B2B268.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 9
I know this post is old but I picked up some bantams at tractor supply as I wanted something different this go. I am absolutely in love with one which I can’t identify. Could this be somewhat of a similar breed? He may be a rooster as he has little pink wattles at 4 weeks. Sweetest one of all my chicks.
Looks like a splash or lavender/self blue Cochin :) I’m leaning towards pullet because my roosters combs are completely red by four weeks

C6696C31-B50F-4C9B-AA77-505135A2DFE0.jpeg

Here is my brahma/Cochin bantam cockerel, just under four weeks.

78CB6AEA-A3AC-442B-A62F-E43CF2ECEBFA.jpeg

Here is my pullet the same age, (she does have a pea comb)

So looking at yours again jeanne1976, I’d say yours is definitely a pullet

Back
Top Bottom