Selling eating eggs. What prices do you charge?

shaylee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Hamilton, Il
I wasnt sure what area to post this in, if its in the wrong place, Im sorry.
I am getting quite a few eggs. How much do ya'll sell a dozen for? My chickens are free pasture, large outbuilding that is never closed off, flresh straw and plenty of care. Eat a great diet. Layer, scratch, scraps, a couple of loaves fresh bread a week. All the good things. Just need an idea of rices. No competition close by or anything. Thanks...

I think you'll find it varies by the part of the country you live in, and the region of that part of the country-- and even by the neighborhood.
Even if you don't have "nearby" competition, you may get an idea for a starting price by the nearest couple of egg sellers-- use that as a starting point. Also, it's easier to lower your price, if you think it's too high, rather than to raise it and upset regular customers
smile.png

That being said, I sell mine for $2.00 a dozen. I'm in rural Maine, and have some "competition" occasionally. This is the first year we've raised chickens though, so we've only got a small window of experience to go by. The woman up the road had a sign out for $1.50, and on the other side of me was $1.00. Up the road about 8 miles (major road, even though it's rural) was $1.00. The woman I bought from before mine started laying, I was paying $2.00, and she was ready to raise prices. None of those 3 are selling right now. Some have lost their chickens, others don't want to raise them and are selling their flocks. No telling what the summer will bring, however.

$2 a dozen here, but I give away many more than I sell. A dear friend of mine is going to paint me a pretty "Fresh Eggs" sign with a cover that I can put over it when I don't have any available. Right now I'm only getting around 12-14 a day, but that should pick up when my buff orp gets her brood finished and starts laying again. Husband is afraid it'll get into a "permits, license, health inspection, drop in / unauthorized access to the premises, etc. ...

here in the upstate of south carolina, we sell our extra large brown eggs for $2.00 a dozen,, check you local grocery stores for the prices they sell for & go from there.( ours are not cage free but get treats everyday)

$2.00 to $2.50 here in mississippi - they only want my brown eggs though
sad.png
it pays for my feed
smile.png
( but i give alot to family and neighbors too)

Back
Top Bottom