Selling eating eggs. What prices do you charge?

I've been looking online at Craigslist and I've noticed that most are selling for $2 a dozen.

does anyone kow about how many eggs six chicken will lay?

I think I might sell mine $2 if you bring a carton and $2.25 if I have to supply it. anyone know where to get paper cartons instead of styrofoam ones?

Last edited:
I'm in sunny Santa Cruz mtns, Calif, although it's raining right now!

I sell mine in 1/2 dozen cartons for $1.50. Neighbors love to give me 6 quarters for six eggs. Charged the same price for 2 years now. And I, too, give a lot away for free.

get urself some clear plastic egg containers, print up some nice labels, get a couple aurecaunas, mix white,brown,and green egss in the clear container. here i can sell them for as mauch as 5.00 a dozen. every1 here pays good for the green ones, so as long as a few green or blue are added, 5 bucks is no problem. my hens get to eat grass and veggies, so the yolks are school bus orange which people also love. im in laplace, which is 15 min from new orleans, and im also in a neighborhood where no1 has chickens and u cant find fresh eggs anywhere...so its a supply/demand issue.

The man down the road from me sells his for $1.50. When I start selling I plan to sell for $1.00. If they bring their own carton it will be .80 People have to go by me before they get to him. I won't start until next year though. right now if I get more than what we need I usually give them away to either my mother n law or my daughter. I also plan to donate to charity. There are food drives all the time and I will donate. Must give back to the community especially in these hard times. The cartons cost me .20 each. I have a few people that save theirs for me so that helps but when I get all 50 hens laying at once I will need lots more.

I have 6 hens right now and since it has warmed up I get 6 eggs a day. During the winter I got 4 a day. I feed mine a mixture of scratch and layer crumbles. I let them out to roam often and I also give them veggie scraps and bread at least once a week. When we go fishing and have bait left over they get that too. Mostly for entertainment. It is hilarious to watch them chase the crickets and steal them from each other.

I live in South Fulton Tennesee.

Last edited:
I get $2/dozen and I have a customer that keeps me bought out. Each week he buys whatever I have. He picks up for his coworkers that want yard eggs. Since he is really good about bringing me cartons we occassionally throw in an extra dozen.

*response to emvickrey post*

I would suggest not undercutting the guy down the road from you at all. Why not charge the same price as the neighbor? I'm only about 40 - 50 mi. from you in western KY, and I charge $2.25 w/0 replacement carton or $2 if they bring me cartons. I also have a few friends who save cartons for me. Undercutting the guy down the road (you didn't mention how close, but I'm assuming it's not more than a few miles), especially by that much of a margin, will definitely cause hard feelings. There should be enough business to go around. I sell mine to the people at church, (and give some away frequently) and have no problem finding takers. If I ever do have extras, I scramble them and feed them back to the girls. When you start getting enough to sell consistently, just make sure you have clean, nice size eggs and you should be able to get a fair price without shortchanging yourself or undercutting your neighbor. $1 is TOO LOW!! $1.50 is TOO LOW!! If you want to compete, stay in the ballpark of what's around you, but don't undercut the guy by 33%! JMO

Last edited:
I had decided to charge this because food costs so much as it is. I just recently found out that there is somebody near here that sells eggs, and what they charge. I may change my mind by the time I do start selling. I haven't bought eggs in so long I have no idea how much they charge in stores around here. We also plan to move before winter too so it wouldn't cut into his profits.

My plans are to sell enough eggs to pay for their feed and up keep and for us to have fresh eggs when we want them. It would be a plus to have extra income to save for improvements to the coop. I also plan to be in contact with local churches so when somebody comes to them for help with food they can come to me for fresh eggs for no charge.

Look at prices for "premium" eggs in your store. Here near Columbus, Ohio, Egglands Best Cage Free Organic sells for $3.65/dozen in the store. We sell eggs (not certified organic, but local) for $3.50/dozen, mixed size.

We follow Ohio law, and there's a whole bunch of information that has to go on the carton/can't go on the carton, so we do not re-use store egg cartons--we have our own with our logo on them. We pay a 25 cent rebate for each clean carton returned. That means that we re-use cartons and our repeat customers pay $3.25.

We almost always sell out. We're adding more hens.

Remember that you are selling a premium product. Price it like one! Many people will assume your $2.50 eggs are better than the neighbor's $1.50 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom