Selling Eggs! Lots of Questions...

ChickenSheep

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
SW Florida
I think it'd be great to have a bunch of "egg selling" questions answered in one thread...
So, here it goes... (please feel free to add related questions)

How much do you sell a dozen eggs for?

How long will you store them before your wouldn't sell them? (i.e, when are they not "fresh" anymore?)

Do you wash them?

How do you store them? (refrigerated or not?)

How do you distribute them? (people pick up or do you drop off?, etc)

Can money be made on a small scale operation? (i.e. Is it worth it?)

Do you recycle egg cartons?

Do you separate by size (and color)? Or give a variety?

What else should I be asking myself? Or should my wife be asking me?

I'm sure there's others with these same questions and more. A lot of the related threads were out-dated or scattered. I'd love to hear from you!

My first layers should lay within 3 - 4 weeks....
wee.gif

How much do you sell a dozen eggs for? Six dollars

How long will you store them before your wouldn't sell them? (i.e, when are they not "fresh" anymore?) Varies for me. But I always sell the freshest ones to customers and eat the ones who are more than two weeks old.

Do you wash them? No.

How do you store them? (refrigerated or not?) Refrigerate

How do you distribute them? (people pick up or do you drop off?, etc) We own a lodge so we just sell them to our guests.

Do you recycle egg cartons? Nope, I save them.

Do you separate by size (and color)? Or give a variety? No. People love the variety!

What else should I be asking myself? Or should my wife be asking me? If your chickens are molting, what will you tell you customers?

Good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
I think it'd be great to have a bunch of "egg selling" questions answered in one thread...
So, here it goes... (please feel free to add related questions)

How much do you sell a dozen eggs for? In my area eggs run from 3-5 dollars a dozen, I sell mostly to friends and family for $2.50 a dozen, I am competitive and have standing orders for 7-9 dozen a week

How long will you store them before your wouldn't sell them? (i.e, when are they not "fresh" anymore?) As stated above, I have standing orders, my girls are laying 20-23 eggs a day, I also sell hatching eggs so I never have a back log of eggs

Do you wash them? For eating yes

How do you store them? (refrigerated or not?) Refrigerated for eating, cool and turned three times a day for hatching

How do you distribute them? (people pick up or do you drop off?, etc) Pick up

Can money be made on a small scale operation? (i.e. Is it worth it?) I sell enough eating eggs to pay for all the feed and scratch and hay for my birds, Fertile hatching eggs are profit..not much mind you, it depends on the demand, It may be a couple weeks before I have orders and then I'll get several calls.. I sell hatching eggs for $1.25 each, last week between hatching and eating eggs I made $75.00 (that's in one week!!) what I don't use goes into the feed jar for a time I may not sell a lot and we can use it for feed.

Do you recycle egg cartons? Everybody brings me their egg cartons.

Do you separate by size (and color)? Or give a variety? variety

What else should I be asking myself? Or should my wife be asking me? Is it worth it to you... I do this because I love having a small farm, everything we have, chickens and rabbits we make pay for themselves, when we breed our rabbits we eat the males and sell the females, that money goes back twords feed and such.. We try to make it a cost free operation, that's about they best you can expect. But it also takes time, we cannot just up and take a two day vacation, we have to set everything up, find someone to gather eggs, feed the animals.. Not always easy.

I'm sure there's others with these same questions and more. A lot of the related threads were out-dated or scattered. I'd love to hear from you!

My first layers should lay within 3 - 4 weeks....
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom