September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Well, day 16 and had one internally pip yesterday. Strange. So I've upped the humidity and am very quick when turning the other eggs but have put that one aside in the incubator, not in my egg turner anymore. May have an early chicky. We'll see.

Well, that one hasn't moved since then. But had another pip and I'd starting it's zip. Hopefully will have a silver grey Dorking chick by morning

OK, so I definitely have a saddle shaped air cell. trying not to freak out...
but just incase someone is reading this post you can go to the tutorial section and get so much help for hatching.. this is what I found on saddle shaped air cells:
SHIPPED EGGS & Malpositions!
SADDLE SHAPED AIR CELLS are very COMMON with shipped eggs!

Saddle shaped is when one or both sides have a large "dip" in the air cell. For the best way to incubate shipped eggs please refer to the Shipped Egg Section inhttps://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

A lot of times with saddle shaped cells the chick doesn’t position correct for hatching and their feet can easily get stuck behind their head and “smoosh” the chick so they can’t move, it can also force the yolk sack and everything more north in the shell.... First lets Look at this position.....

Note the top of the egg (air cell end) and how far down one side of the egg this air cell goes. Some times the chicks CAN do the internal pip but cannot hit that outer membrane/shell. This is why you should pencil mark the air cells and keep a close watch on them at hatch, especially if they seem "later" that the rest by about 6-12 hrs. I will begin an assist by candle and tapping to make sure I have that internal pip, HOWEVER in this case you cant see the internal pip too well because of the angle, so I always tap to see if I hear them. IF you DO hear a chirp or see an internal pip then follow the Assist steps first in this article. If not I check again in another 6 hours and repeat...

these were shipped eggs Cynthia12 . I have a saddle shaped air cell. I am just crossing my fingers that he is not malpositioned.
Are you sure it isn't looking like it's on one side..before you turn the egg? I don't mean to assume you wouldn't know, not sure if this is a first hatch..I apologize if you know the difference, just going by what I did in the beginning of hatching. I thought, oh no..look at that long air sac! Then I figured out that it was just the clear side before being turned.
tongue.png

Chickendreams24: Hi sweetheart.
263a.png
I knew you'd be here if you got my pm. You're truly amazing. I appreciate your heart towards me and Wilson. As well as the babies. Oh good idea on the eye ointment. I'm going straight to my feed store tomorrow....or today.
1f634.png
1f634.png
1f634.png
and thank you for those prayers!!! Gosh y'all are wonderful. Congrats on your eggs!!! Woot! And I'm praying for your buttercups.
1f64f.png

Cynthia12: Awesome job on finding me that information! I'm going to check it out now. I gave her her first treatment of antibiotics. Gave her a warm compress too. I'm surprised she did so well. I squatted in the coop,and held her on my lap. She was aggravated at first. But once I got the heat to her eye comfortably,she stopped fighting and just chilled.
263a.png
Now I know she's not feeling well.
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
Her eye area was very warm to touch prior to my applying the compress. I'm hoping tomorrow she can at least open it. Although,it remaining closed for now is protecting in if you think about it.

God bless every single one of you who've helped me tonight and for the silent ones who I KNOW are praying.
1f64f.png
gnauny y'all. Updates to come.

So what I did learn from the link you sent Cynthia,do not ever apply a hot compress to an area you believe is infected. Oh oh!! And it makes sense why...first,we all know that like fungi,infections need a hot/moist place to thrive. And in some ways heat can actually make the infection worse. A duh.... Plus,the infected area is already hot. Cold is more soothing. I should know this!!!! My ma was so so particular about teaching us these kinds of things. Well,I did more of a lukewarm. So I'm hoping I didn't do more damage than good. Tomorrow is a new day.
1f60f.png
I'm picking up an injectable antibiotic,an eye ointment and an eye wash solution for her. Man oh man is she going to be one plucked off hen!
1f629.png

It's getting exciting. Sunday can't get here fast enough. This time I'm doing things just a little differently. I'm only checking on Tiana (my brood hen) to give her food and fresh water and clean poop. She's being pretty serious here! I'm not candling any eggs. I'm not making her move to look at them... just letting nature take it's course. She's so serious and happy sitting on these eggs in her own private suite of the brooder.

The chicks are F1EE (first generation Easter Egger) rooster, and Orpington or Red Sex Link hens. I wasn't planning on hatching any more this year, but what the heck. Tiana had to sit and watch the three Ameraucana hens all hatch their eggs and play with their chicks. I don't want her to feel left out. So far my Lavender Ameraucana hens are the best moms! They are so dedicated. I did get quite a few little cockerels this last hatch (I think). Hopefully this hatch will level the playing field. Hatch date expected 9/14/15.

It's getting exciting. Sunday can't get here fast enough. This time I'm doing things just a little differently. I'm only checking on Tiana (my brood hen) to give her food and fresh water and clean poop. She's being pretty serious here! I'm not candling any eggs. I'm not making her move to look at them... just letting nature take it's course. She's so serious and happy sitting on these eggs in her own private suite of the brooder. The chicks are F1EE (first generation Easter Egger) rooster, and Orpington or Red Sex Link hens. I wasn't planning on hatching any more this year, but what the heck. Tiana had to sit and watch the three Ameraucana hens all hatch their eggs and play with their chicks. I don't want her to feel left out. So far my Lavender Ameraucana hens are the best moms! They are so dedicated. I did get quite a few little cockerels this last hatch (I think). Hopefully this hatch will level the playing field. Hatch date expected 9/14/15.
Counting down for you hopefully it is even hatching feels so long but then on the last few days it just zooms by can't wait to see eggs

Mid-day 21 update:

12 moved to the brooder - 5 BTBJ, 4 GS, 1 SS, 2 OEGB. All fine and dandy!
smile.png

Still in the bator - 2 GS assists that are now out of the woods and doing fine. One had zipped the wrong end and got stuck, one had zipped about a third of the way around and stuck a leg out, so I took his cap off and he pushed out fine. One more GS was almost done zipping when I had to leave for work. 2 OEGBs and 2 GS working good pips. 5 with no action at all yet, but its still just day 21. I hate that I have to work today!! I wanna go home...

Well, that one hasn't moved since then. But had another pip and I'd starting it's zip. Hopefully will have a silver grey Dorking chick by morning

My first purebred Silver Grey Dorking! I'm beyond excited. Hatched at 4am this morning. 5 more eggs left in the incubator. It's only day 18 though.

Back
Top Bottom