September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Well, today is day 10. Candled and weighed again...

there was great movement and development in quite a lot of the eggs, out of the 24 we are incubating we got 6 swedish flowers, 1 olive egger, 3 ameraucanas that are for sure great.
Then we've got 2 olive eggers and 1 ameraucana that I just couldn't see really in there, so we've decided to leave them a little bit longer. ..hopefully nothing explodes.
hmm.png

There is this one swedish flower too that i'm just unsure of...hubby wants me to leave it just in case it's a little behind or unseeable due to it's position but it was porous and all i could make out was a dark centre form, but not much veining (picture isn't that good...I just couldn't capture the details really)
Just wondering what you all think about this one?

So we've ditched 4 of our eggs for sure, left all the BCM in.

Weights seem good, except our average for our OE and SFH are a little bit off (by .2 of a gram) so i'm hoping that it's just because our scale doesn't go in small enough of a weight to catch it...but i'll be sure to be keeping my humidity a little lower than I have been just to be on the safe side. Air sacs looked ok, we'll know better by those on day 14.

Crazy to think only 11 more days! I feel like it's christmas already LOL
jumpy.gif
...so excited to see our first little fluffs pop out of their shells!

Well, today is day 10. Candled and weighed again...

there was great movement and development in quite a lot of the eggs, out of the 24 we are incubating we got 6 swedish flowers, 1 olive egger, 3 ameraucanas that are for sure great.
Then we've got 2 olive eggers and 1 ameraucana that I just couldn't see really in there, so we've decided to leave them a little bit longer. ..hopefully nothing explodes.
hmm.png

There is this one swedish flower too that i'm just unsure of...hubby wants me to leave it just in case it's a little behind or unseeable due to it's position but it was porous and all i could make out was a dark centre form, but not much veining (picture isn't that good...I just couldn't capture the details really)
Just wondering what you all think about this one?

So we've ditched 4 of our eggs for sure, left all the BCM in.

Weights seem good, except our average for our OE and SFH are a little bit off (by .2 of a gram) so i'm hoping that it's just because our scale doesn't go in small enough of a weight to catch it...but i'll be sure to be keeping my humidity a little lower than I have been just to be on the safe side. Air sacs looked ok, we'll know better by those on day 14.

Crazy to think only 11 more days! I feel like it's christmas already LOL
jumpy.gif
...so excited to see our first little fluffs pop out of their shells!
It's always exciting to see movement when candling :)

The one in the photo doesn't look like much. I would expect some serious veining and even parts of the egg being very dark by 10days. If you saw some veining in it and it doesn't smell I would leave it for a couple more days and then check it again before removing. I know it can be difficult to get a photo to show what you see.

I have 4 days to go on my eggs... tomorrow is lockdown time
pop.gif

i'm using the brinsea mini advance- which i've had **** results with in the past. It makes me feel like an idiot.

Since I was sent 15 eggs I might do [7 in the mini] and then [5 in another mini] and then [3 in the foam incubator plus however many eggs my girls lay by then]. I know it seems cray to have so many incubators going but I have FOUR mini advances and i'm getting crap results on all of them- so I wanted to experiment perhaps, since hubs thinks the foam one works better and he like all men, obviously knows everything.

I like that someone mentioned weighing the eggs. I didn't think of this and have felt limited by the dark color on the marans eggs even though I have the brinsea egg viewer, ive never been able to "see" anything past the shells. The eggs that I took from my broody last week haven't done anything so I think I'm just going to be throwing those out. She isn't a proven broody like her mother but I actually feel bad for this hen who keeps on trying and can't even get success when I assist by incubating at the end inside.

I'm never going to be able to move onto having new animals on the farm at this rate anyways. Chickens, why so hard?

I recently read somewhere on BYC about someone that sands their Marans eggs. I will do a search, maybe you can to. Perhaps this help.

I found the page:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-dark-eggs

Last edited:
It's always exciting to see movement when candling :)

The one in the photo doesn't look like much. I would expect some serious veining and even parts of the egg being very dark by 10days. If you saw some veining in it and it doesn't smell I would leave it for a couple more days and then check it again before removing. I know it can be difficult to get a photo to show what you see.

I have 4 days to go on my eggs... tomorrow is lockdown time
pop.gif
Ooooo so close!! that's so exciting! can't wait to see all your fluffy baby chick pictures!
wee.gif

hope everything goes great for your hatch!

Hi all! I know it's kind of late for me to join, since I'm on day 19 already, but this is probably my last hatch of the year, and I wanted to share it with you! I have 13 eggs in the incubator, and 4 under a broody, and they're all barnyard mix, consisting of many different breeds with a RIR rooster. I'll try my best to post pics if there is any action, but so far nothing has happened. Good luck to the rest of you!
~KeyFlock

Well all is looking pretty good at least so far 25 of the 39 are where they should be and there is about 9 that were infertile so I would say we are doing pretty good! Only 1 week to go!!!

One more week and there will be peeps in your place. :) :) :).
Have fun.

Hi all! I know it's kind of late for me to join, since I'm on day 19 already, but this is probably my last hatch of the year, and I wanted to share it with you! I have 13 eggs in the incubator, and 4 under a broody, and they're all barnyard mix, consisting of many different breeds with a RIR rooster. I'll try my best to post pics if there is any action, but so far nothing has happened. Good luck to the rest of you! 
~KeyFlock

Welcome. I'm using a RIR too! I'm really curious about what they'll look like, definitely post pics
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom