Serama Indoor Pet - Managing Smell?

I will hopefully post pictures tomorrow evening. I just noticed the hen sneezed and snot/liquid came out. My assumption is respiratory? She has a sleepy disposition but then again it is 7:47 PM. She otherwise appears healthy but I am not a chicken expert. Should I treat her with Doxycycline and Amoxicillin? Should I just make a thread in
Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures ?

Thanks

Eric

I will hopefully post pictures tomorrow evening. I just noticed the hen sneezed and snot/liquid came out. My assumption is respiratory? She has a sleepy disposition but then again it is 7:47 PM. She otherwise appears healthy but I am not a chicken expert. Should I treat her with Doxycycline and Amoxicillin? Should I just make a thread in
Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures ?

Thanks

Eric
Sorry, that's one of the issues with getting birds that don't go through quarantine. They could have gotten illness that didn't yet present at their previous home.

I don't personally treat with antibiotics until I have confirmed bacterial infection. They kill both good and bad bacteria. And if it's viral then the added meds could just take an added toll on the birds already weakened immunity.

I would support with probiotics and maybe a vitamin supplement first. But I have ZERO experience with respiratory disease, yet. So still learning all I can.

Yes it wouldn't hurt to start a new thread in that section you mentioned, and might even help get good response. :fl

My friend said a sneeze isn't necessary a guarantee of anything, I will continue to monitor the situation. Both birds came from the same guy, they're not sharing the same food or water as the other birds so it's a form of quarantine. Not as ideal as a separate room but we'll see how it goes.

Here are the happy couple. Penny and George. I added a plastic bin with a small square hole opening. It is filled with pine shavings. They both seem to enjoy it thoroughly. Lots of pecking, scratching and sitting. They've only had it a few hours but I think they appreciate it sincerely.

George & Penny.png
George & Penny v2.png
George & Penny v3.png
George & Penny v4.png

(If this question is in the wrong section please move it to a better one if possible)

Hello,

I recently purchased a Serama Chicken and he's awesome but the smell of his droppings is stinking up the whole house. How do I control the smell? I keep and breed pigeons and have most of them indoors and they have little to no odor so I wasn't expecting this sort of thing when I bought this bird. I love him and I don't want to be forced to get rid of him by the other people I share this house with.

Here he is, I know he's probably not a "true" Serama due to his posture but I don't know what else to call him. Maybe a Japanese Bantam?

I let him out everyday to walk around, he's extremely tame. My friend who raises chickens recommended diatomaceous earth and pine shavings and removing the mesh floor.

View attachment 1209692 View attachment 1209693 View attachment 1209694

My friend said a sneeze isn't necessary a guarantee of anything, I will continue to monitor the situation. Both birds came from the same guy, they're not sharing the same food or water as the other birds so it's a form of quarantine. Not as ideal as a separate room but we'll see how it goes.

Here are the happy couple. Penny and George. I added a plastic bin with a small square hole opening. It is filled with pine shavings. They both seem to enjoy it thoroughly. Lots of pecking, scratching and sitting. They've only had it a few hours but I think they appreciate it sincerely.

View attachment 1212896 View attachment 1212897 View attachment 1212898 View attachment 1212899
On my word!!!! CUUUUUTE! :love :love

My friend said a sneeze isn't necessary a guarantee of anything, I will continue to monitor the situation.
Yes, a sneeze is not a guarantee of anything...

However, chickens don't sneeze for just no reason. I have seen an occasional sneeze during dirt bathing. But I have NEVER seen a sneeze accompanied by snot. And I suspect that DOES mean something. Possibilities are Mycoplasma, New Castle's, Infectious bronchitis, or respiratory tract infection. There are others too. Of course at this point keeping an eye might be the only thing you CAN do. Unless a fecal (I think called gram stain) would identify any of those and make it so you could treat early. :confused:

They are lovely together! :love

Interesting that his eye color doesn't look the same. Your tub idea is great! It should contain the mess pretty good and they do seem to really enjoy it. :thumbsup It even creates some privacy and that is probably where she will lay.

That's the same kind of kennel I use for my night time broody breaker. But before I started using an open bottom pen during daytime, I had some girls who spend 10+ days in there. And I really felt bad. They are quite a bit heavier. I might consider looking into a larger diameter wire bottom to replace the hardware cloth with, like you have done.

Thanks for sharing pics and your adventure! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom