Set eggs today 29th Feb if anyone wants to join me :-)

I'm only on my second go. I tried about a year ago with 6 eggs from a friend. 5 never started and one made it to the end, but never pipped. I think my humidity was way too high. Right now my humidity is running around 35% with no water in the bator. Seems that's as low as the current humidity will allow it to go. I keep checking to make sure that everything is staying fairly consistent and it seems that my temps are not fluctuating at all, but seem to be running about 99.8 which I assume is good enough, although I might try to mess with it and get it down closer to 99.5

I just set mine! I'm so excited!!! I'm a first timer too. It makes it so much more exciting having all of you to do this with too
smile.png

I'm only on my second go. I tried about a year ago with 6 eggs from a friend. 5 never started and one made it to the end, but never pipped. I think my humidity was way too high. Right now my humidity is running around 35% with no water in the bator. Seems that's as low as the current humidity will allow it to go. I keep checking to make sure that everything is staying fairly consistent and it seems that my temps are not fluctuating at all, but seem to be running about 99.8 which I assume is good enough, although I might try to mess with it and get it down closer to 99.5
Hi hun, your humidity and temp seems perfect to me.. Good luck :D

This is great! Good luck everyone..... Me and highlander will help as much as we can..

Dont worry if you havent set on the 29th anyone is welcome..:lol:

Ive never hatched such a small egg before (seramas & other bantams) what would you recommend for the temp? Im currantly on 37.6. 99.5. Not sure if thats too high for these tiny egg! Dont want hard boiled eggs :rolleyes:

well i checked on my babies before i left for work and the temp was 99.3! it keeps fluctuating between 99 and 100.5 (we hava a woodburning stove and i think the thermostat is trying to compinsate...) is this ok, or should it remain fairly comstant?

You would think that its ok, because in a natural environment the eggs would also fluctuate slightly, but I don't know I'm a newbie at hatching.
smile.png
I hope so, because mine also fluctuates very slightly too, not even a full degree. Hopefully someone with more experience can answer ; )

Last edited:
welcome! i am a nervous nellie about these eggs. being a first time hatcher sucks!

I have been setting eggs once ( and sometimes twice) a week for over a month now. It's a big cabinet incubator and I use lot's of notes. I have already hatched dozens of chicks, 5 ducks and 6 guineas.

I did this last year, too.

I am still a nervous nellie
hugs.gif

wow thats a lot of babies! i would love to come Nd see them all lol. i cant wait for mine to start developing. tonight will b day 3 on the oldest eggs so im gonna try to candle and see of i can see anything! any tips on candling you guys could share?

wow thats a lot of babies! i would love to come Nd see them all lol. i cant wait for mine to start developing. tonight will b day 3 on the oldest eggs so im gonna try to candle and see of i can see anything! any tips on candling you guys could share?

I wait until 10 days to candle. By then it is so obvious what you are seeing. I use a hand held candler or even a small flashlight. You won't even have to pick up the eggs, just hold the light to the end of the egg. If it is clear, not developing, the whole egg will kind of glow. If it is good, developing, the air sack will light up, glow, while the rest of the egg remains dark. HTH

Back
Top Bottom