Setting eggs 3/15/14 - Who is with me?

Quote: I agree! My shipped eggs are not looking good. I'll be lucky to get 50%. Good job Welshchick!
thumbsup.gif

I'll try to hold off candling until Friday and double check %. Hope my 66% are still dancing along.

Sorry to hear of the quitters, I've received a couple of shipments like that and it is hard. JMO but not as sad as opening a box with dead chicks.

I candeled My shipped eggs that are under My broody today and one is missing!!?? I had 9 and Now there are only 8! :( and when i candeled only 4 are developing :( :(

My incubator hasn't been able to get to the right temp so i have had to adjust it and constantly for the past 2 day (day 5-6 of incubation) my temp has been fluctuating from 99-102 degrees. Im trying to get it to hold at 101 but it may end up holding at 102. My question is 1) Did these minimal temp fluctuations kill the birds, 2) is it ok if i do end up holding the bator at 102?

What are you incubating in Bailey?
I have a still air LG, and 102° at the top of the eggs would be a little high resulting in an early hatch. If it were mid egg temperature reading I would be worried, I wouldn't worry about them being a little cool the first couple of days.

Just got done candleing, I have 5 americanas, 4 Swedish flower hens, and 2 partridge brahmas left. I had 10 clears and 5 blood rings and this

I'm thinking it was an early quitter, if anyone can confirm or deny that. I'm on day 10.

With the eggs I have left I have an average of 8% loss. does that sound about right or should I adjust?

hi everyone! I was in the March hatch a long but realized mine are actually due April 3! Then I found your thread and I set just 1 day off from you, on 3/14
big_smile.png
hopefully I can join in late?!
frow.gif
I read all your posts too.

here is what I have done so far!
I set 14 shipped Wyandotte eggs on 3/14, I saw confirmed detached air cells in around half of them so I treated them all as detached...
candled on day 7 and saw good veining in all but 3, marked those to check again day 10.

day 10 candle -
of those 3 questionable eggs: 1 clear, 1 early quitter, 1 viable!

the viable egg is a weird one. the air cell is on the side, not the tip. I wonder if it will affect the positioning of the chick at hatch time? We will see!!
day 10 (yesterday) final count: 12 of 14 viable
I am PRETTY ecstatic about this number!!! my hopes were way way down when I saw the detached air cells (this ALWAYS happens with shipped eggs!) so starting today...I am actually feeling excited and hopeful. c'mon chickies!
fl.gif

10 more days. how will I ever last until then.. it seems an eternity away!!!!

Just got done candleing, I have 5 americanas, 4 Swedish flower hens, and 2 partridge brahmas left. I had 10 clears and 5 blood rings and this

I'm thinking it was an early quitter, if anyone can confirm or deny that. I'm on day 10.

With the eggs I have left I have an average of 8% loss. does that sound about right or should I adjust?

I agree I think this one quit around day 6-7... if you check out this link, it shows inside/out during incubation so you can compare development with the day listed:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/chicken-embryo-development-views-from.html
a day 10 chick is more developed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom