Setting eggs on 3/7. Anyone else?

It's been 4 hours and there is no progress in the chick pipping the egg... Should I be worried or is she fine

It's my first hatch so I'm not sure. I read a lot and some people apparently do it this way so they aren't all running over the other eggs. To be honest, watching this guy hatch, I won't use them again. He seemed to have a hard time because his head kept hitting the side of the carton. And to be honest, I'm not sure how the heck he's gonna walk around in there!

I actually heard chirping for the first time! The little chick is still ok in there. 17+ hours since pipping the hole and finally a chirp. But still no progress with the shell. Humidity is sitting at 69% and temp is 99.3. If he/she is still the same in the morning I may flake away some of the shell towards the big end of the egg. The pip seems to be awfully low in the egg.

At lock down I put mine in egg cartons fat end up also because they are shipped eggs with rolling and saddled air cells. It gives the chicks a better chance at being in the right position by the air cell when it pips.

Seriously!!!! 6 hours after lockdown!!
If anyone is up I could use some help. My humidity has not gone over 56% since lockdown at 5pm. I am using a hovabator and it has the temp and humidity and has been perfect up til now. I filled both troughs. My son did a test run before this and it worked perfect that time. Anyone know why the humidity did not go up? I have the bottom lined with shelf liner. The kind with holes in it so it lets the air flow through. Now to complicate matters, this little one came early. After he dries, should I try to remove and add wet sponges???
Any help or comfort would be appreciated!
Thanks, CJ

The humidity kept falling and was down to 52%, I plugged the hole where the automatic egg turner cord was coming through and it is slowly rising! Hopefully it goes up to where it should be. I will still need to know if I should remove this little one that came so darn early. I may not even have any pipping for a couple more days. Any ideas? Will it get lonely in the big old brooder all by itself.? :)
CJ

The humidity kept falling and was down to 52%, I plugged the hole where the automatic egg turner cord was coming through and it is slowly rising! Hopefully it goes up to where it should be. I will still need to know if I should remove this little one that came so darn early. I may not even have any pipping for a couple more days. Any ideas? Will it get lonely in the big old brooder all by itself.? :)
CJ
Leave him in there! Taking him out will let all the humidity out and compromise the other eggs. The new baby will be fine for three days without food or water.

Back
Top Bottom