Sex Link Question

Alexandra Runner

Songster
Jun 26, 2023
Hello, all! So, I have a question that might be stupid, but genetics is new to me. I have a SLW hen from a hatchery that clearly is not a full SLW, as she has a single comb as opposed to a rose comb. Other than that, she looks like a SLW. Can I still create a Cinnamon Queen by breeding her to my RIR rooster?
Thank you guys for helping with my ignorance!

Hello, all! So, I have a question that might be stupid, but genetics is new to me. I have a SLW hen from a hatchery that clearly is not a full SLW, as she has a single comb as opposed to a rose comb. Other than that, she looks like a SLW. Can I still create a Cinnamon Queen by breeding her to my RIR rooster?
Pictures?

I have a SLW hen from a hatchery that clearly is not a full SLW, as she has a single comb as opposed to a rose comb.
Highly common as straight comb is a recessive trait and doesn't change the breed just makes her not conforming to the SOP (if everything else matches stated breed).. two rose combs can throw staright combs. Also some rose comb breeders keep straight combs in their flock.. because rose has an alleged known fertility issue of slow sperm motility when bred pure for many generations.

The answer is yes.. you can still use her for sex linking!

Wyandotte can be purebred and have a single comb. It's a recessive gene that occasionally pops up

Wonderful! Thank you guys so, so much!! Since I don't show my birds, I don't know much about the genetics or SOP of any breeds. Maybe someday, but not in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom