Sex- linked Information

No he's not a sex link.
What do you mean "main rooster"? Does that mean another rooster is in the mix and could be father?
If the RIR is the father id say the cockerel is from him and one of your red sex links.
Guessing your red sex links are reddish with some white?
The white is dominate white which with one dose or two replaces black.
The cockerel got one dominate white gene from a sex link and that's why his black tail was changed to white.

His genetics are telling me otherwise.
RIR crossed with silver pheonix would be sex linked. Males would get a gold gene from dad and a silver gene from mom. A cockerel offspring would not be red like that since it would be silver/gold and silver being dominate.
As for the oegb. That would not explain the white tail. RIR Xs wheaton won't produce the white replacing black feathers. That cockerel has dominate white and didn't get it from a RIR or wheaton oegb.
Also could never see an oegb producing a cockerel anywheres near the size he appears.
It is what it is and genetics are what they are but if you say it came from a oegb or silver phoenix so be it.

One of the dark red sisters has a pea comb. The only pea comb breed you have is the Dark Cornish, so that would be the mom for that chick. The other dark red sister looks like she has white earlobes. That indicates that one parent was likely a white egg layer. She is likely from your Silver Phoenix. She's techinically a sexlink. The only possible parent, that makes sense genetically, for the red and white rooster would one of your red sexlink hens.
And it's very common for mature roosters to develop some white after a few molts. It's thought to be related to nutrition. It is no indication of hidden white genes.
It may help if you learned the difference between silver and white. Silver basically turns off gold/red/brown pigments. White turns off black pigment only. Both produce white plumage, but in completely different ways.
In males with both silver and red/gold genes, the silver is dominant but not able to completely block all red/gold pigment completely. They develop what is called 'leakage', where red or gold is able to leak through the silver in the shoulders and hackle feathers. For a good visual example, check out pics of male Gold Comets.
Your boy is only white in the areas that correspond with the black areas of his father. This shows that only the black pigment is getting turned off, not his red/gold pigment. That means it must be dominant white and not silver producing the white feathering.

Can those more knowledgeable than me tell me is a 55 Fowery Hen x CC Legbar will produce sexlinks? I cannot find the answer as to what the color of a 55 is based on.
They are both autosexing breeds, and my experience (with Legbars and Welbars) is that they will produce autosexing chicks. While not technically "sexlinks", they are sexable, and will retain that for future generations (something "true" sexlinks do not do).
I don't see much purpose in that cross, other than simple curiosity, as you will get heterozygous blue egg layers. I make the Welbar x Legbar cross to produce autosexing Olive Eggers, and sexable OE's are in high demand for the local backyard chicken keepers.

Dominant CZ has also multiple types of RSL chickens.
Using white rock, columbian rock, RIR, rhodebar, cream legbar etc.
When breeding with goal, any goal there is nothing easier then breeding for a sex link.
I'm not a fan of sex links. I like birds that breed true or projects that will end with breeding true.
Auto sexing is hands down the way to go IMO if sexing at hatch is important.

Not IMO or at least not for a few generations.
Dominique rooster over Welsummer hens will give you barred chicks of both sexes.
Welsummer rooster over Dominique hens will give you sex links. Barred cockerels and non barred pullets.
They will all have rose combs but not the Welsummer pattern. Because of the Dominique they'll be black. The males will show some leakage. Females may but usually don't.
they also won't be a "breed" but a mix. If you continue on with the offspring you can breed to get the pure duckwing pattern with barred females and DF barred males. Also focusing on removing the single comb genes..
Then you'll have rose comb Welbar looking birds.
This is correct, it will take several generations across years of selective breeding to accomplish this. I know because I created a line of pure-breeding, autosexing Welbars several years ago. It took me about 2 years to get my first double barred cockerel chicks.
The black sexlinks you get in the first generation will still be nice birds, but far from autosexing.
If anyone wants to learn more about Welbars, check out my webpage: http://welbars.com/doku.php?id=welbars:start
I have pictures of both gold and silver Welbars and links to other pages with the "recipe" to make your own. My current Welbar flocks are laying 30 to 40 eggs a day now and most are as dark as my Lavender Marans and some as dark as the best eggs from my Black Coppers. I sell a lot of their chicks to local people. Guaranteed sexable chicks are a big deal in suburban areas, as one might expect.

Back
Top Bottom