Sex- linked Information

Wild type is the chipmunk striped chick . This is the original wild chicken look of the chick . Yes with barring it is the head spot to look for . Red is sex linked but the black from the mother tries to overpower the red . You need a different combo for red sex links .

What a great thread!
I have some questions on crosses. I'm hoping someone can help
if I crossed a CL rooster with a blue copper Marans hen: what colored offspring would I get(hoping for blue OE)?
I'm assuming they'd be sex linked since it's a barred over a solid. Is that correct? Or does the barred have to be the hen?
I can use a CL hen to a blue or black copper Marans, but the Marans boys are quite large.
Thought this would be easier on the hen.

Last edited:
What a great thread!
if I crossed a CL rooster with a blue copper Marans hen: what colored offspring would I get(hoping for blue OE)?
I'm assuming they'd be sex linked since it's a barred over a solid. Is that correct? Or does the barred have to be the hen?
I can use a CL hen to a blue or black copper Marans, but the Marans boys are quite large.

You must have a barred hen and non-barred roo to get black sex links, so a CL roo will never produce black sex-links. I think the second cross will produce black sex-linked olive eggers. Since the hen is blue, 50% should be blue down and the rest black. In my experience, blue sex-linked chicks have less contrast with the head spot and so are slightly harder to sex. But my cross used splash Bredas over a BR hen, so your results may vary.

Hello, kind new to this site. Here is my question has anyone used Buff Rocks to make sex links? If so can you post some pictures of your crosses and how did you like them?

Thank You

Hello, kind new to this site. Here is my question has anyone used Buff Rocks to make sex links? If so can you post some pictures of your crosses and how did you like them?

Thank You

Saw your post on the rock thread also . I have not done this cross . Buff rooster over barred hens would give male chicks with a white head spot and females without a head spot . Not sure on color but a lot of black mixed with buff/gold . Since they would be between two colors of rock I would think egg production would be good . Temperament should be all rock .

What a great thread!

You need barred hens to sex by head spot on males . Color would be blue and black copper . CL are basically light brown with 2 copies of cream and barring . You can make a black or blue copper looking bird by crossing light brown with blue or black . So that is why I say blue and black copper . The ratio of blue and black will be 50% of each .

You need barred hens to sex by head spot on males . Color would be blue and black copper . CL are basically light brown with 2 copies of cream and barring . You can make a black or blue copper looking bird by crossing light brown with blue or black . So that is why I say blue and black copper . The ratio of blue and black will be 50% of each .
so with a barred hen, i would get blues and blacks that are sex linked, correct? that would be pretty cool :)

I don't have time to read 41 pages on this thread, so with that said heres my question: I received eggs from sex link hens bred by 1 of 5 different roos. The chicks from these eggs look like sexlink chicks. Shouldn't the sexing be correct to there colors? I have chicks that are black with white on their heads, some without the white, reds and yellows(white). So,sexing?

Back
Top Bottom