Sex- linked Information

Thank you, I got it it just took me awhile was so focused on RCBL . It gets confusing sometimes between the abbreviations and having to turn the crosses around in my head to put the hen first. Not familiar with the Pioneer had to look them up

From what I gather I cannot use a Wheaten Ameraucana rooster in a black sex link cross because wheaten chick down is not affected by the barring gene. Is this correct? .What would work with wheaten?

Columbian Leghorn x Wheaten Ameraucana rooster = red sex link?

Ancona is something other than barred correct?
Also Someone said Welsummer crosses were easy to sex but I am not sure why?

thanks!! another question... which parent possession the egg colour gene?
i have ameraucaunas and black copper marans...
also barred rocks and light sussex, blue and buff orps.... would any of these crosses make sex links? with egg colour being??

thanks!! another question... which parent possession the egg colour gene?
i have ameraucaunas and black copper marans...
also barred rocks and light sussex, blue and buff orps.... would any of these crosses make sex links? with egg colour being??
Egg color is not sex linked. Blue egg shell is dominant so it only takes one to make a blue egg shell. Brown is a combination of up to 9 genes and they are not sex linked either.

Blue egg shell with brown coating makes green eggs.

Both male and female contribute genes for egg color. If you absolutely sure that you have pure Ameraucana (most hatcheries do not have pure Ameraucana), then both male and female have two copies of the blue egg gene. All their mixed breed chicks should inherit one blue egg gene, resulting in green eggs. If your Ameraucana are actually Easter Eggers, then their chicks might lay green or brown. Barred rock hens can only pass barring to their male offspring. Light Sussex are dominant silver. When bred to a red/gold based color rooster, you will get red sexlinks.

would i get sex linked chicks if i crossed barred rock hens with blue opringtons?

As already mentioned, these will produce chicks that are genetically sex-linked. However, not all sex linked characteristics show well in the chick down. For example, any cross with a barred hen to a non-barred roo will produce chicks where only the males have a gene for barring. This barring can be hidden by a number of other genes (like white), and the white head spot show best on a black down chick, hence the need for extended black (E) to be present in at least one parent. In my experience, E modifiers like "blue" can make it very hard to distinguish the white head dot, and even the barring on the primary feathers. I use a blue Ameraucana over a black barred hen and was not able to sex the blue chicks, though the black ones sexed out easily. All the blue chicks looked like females, but of course they were not.

So I would give a qualified "yes". The chicks will be sexlinked for barring, but you may not be able to visually distinguish the sexes in the blue chicks, which will make up about half of your hatch. If you use a black Orp, or even a Lavender (self-blue), then all the chicks will be black sexlinks and easily sexed.

The hatcheries have created a lot of confusion by selling Easter Egger crosses as ameraucanas or americanas. When someone says they have ameraucanas without specifying the color, or calls them americanas. It is a good bet they are EE .

As already mentioned, these will produce chicks that are genetically sex-linked. However, not all sex linked characteristics show well in the chick down. For example, any cross with a barred hen to a non-barred roo will produce chicks where only the males have a gene for barring. This barring can be hidden by a number of other genes (like white), and the white head spot show best on a black down chick, hence the need for extended black (E) to be present in at least one parent. In my experience, E modifiers like "blue" can make it very hard to distinguish the white head dot, and even the barring on the primary feathers. I use a blue Ameraucana over a black barred hen and was not able to sex the blue chicks, though the black ones sexed out easily. All the blue chicks looked like females, but of course they were not.

So I would give a qualified "yes". The chicks will be sexlinked for barring, but you may not be able to visually distinguish the sexes in the blue chicks, which will make up about half of your hatch. If you use a black Orp, or even a Lavender (self-blue), then all the chicks will be black sexlinks and easily sexed.
Can you please explain the difference between Blue and Lavender and why lavender will work in a sex link cross.

Back
Top Bottom