Sex- linked Information

White Cochins are recessive white. That means that when bred with a different breed/color, he will breed like a solid black. I believe some of your chicks are Red/Cochin crosses. If any have a pea comb, then they are likely the Brahma's chicks and would be black sexlinks.

I am terrified of 1" netting. I lost my fayoumi and a pet rabbit to that stuff. From now on, I'm only going to use hardware cloth 1/2" or smaller.

Right now I'm trying to figure out whether I have roos or pullets in these 4. Their ages range every few days from 13 - 5 days. Hubby kept bringing eggs in and sneaking them in the incubator.
idunno.gif

I only use netting to cover my pens to keep bird predators out such as owls and hawks, otherwise I do not use netting either. Most of the netting is 2" but I do have some 1" where I ran short of the 2". I have a couple of coops that are open on one side and I kept finding dead birds in the pens, I finally put up my game camera and discovered it was an owl killing them. I couldn't figure how a predator was getting in and thought the only way was it had to be going over the fence. I have electric around all of my coops and pens.

Before I put the tarps up and the netting.

I only use netting to cover my pens to keep bird predators out such as owls and hawks, otherwise I do not use netting either. Most of the netting is 2" but I do have some 1" where I ran short of the 2". I have a couple of coops that are open on one side and I kept finding dead birds in the pens, I finally put up my game camera and discovered it was an owl killing them. I couldn't figure how a predator was getting in and thought the only way was it had to be going over the fence. I have electric around all of my coops and pens.

Before I put the tarps up and the netting.
Did you mean to post this here?

Mommy is either my RIR or BR. Fairly certain she's the BR. Daddy is my Brahma (kind of silvery) - there's no mistaking the fuzzy feet (even though my only other roo is a Cochin).

Your Brahma is not a Brahma. That is a Splash Marans. He should produce Blue chicks (grey down), not black. And if this picture is recent, he is very, very young.
The hens look really young as well.
If the white one really is a Cochin, then that is the most likely father. Any chicks with a white spot on the back of the head are male. But if you hatched the Rhode Island Red eggs by mistake, you can't be certain that all of the chicks without a head spot are female.

Wow! Thanks! I thought only Brahma's and Cochin were fuzzy footed. I should have done more research.
Those photos are from last spring. Everyone is much more mature now; newly a year old.

I don't believe my RIR is laying again, all eggs appeared to be same size/hue.

Angel, the white one, is completely fuzzy footed.

The thing is, I've only seen the white Mount anyone once, he also makes MO SOUND, whereas the grey one is quite active, and rather noisy.

Wow! Thanks! I thought only Brahma's and Cochin were fuzzy footed. I should have done more research.
Those photos are from last spring. Everyone is much more mature now; newly a year old.

I don't believe my RIR is laying again, all eggs appeared to be same size/hue.

Angel, the white one, is completely fuzzy footed.

The thing is, I've only seen the white Mount anyone once, he also makes MO SOUND, whereas the grey one is quite active, and rather noisy.
There are quite a few breeds with feathered legs. Of the large fowl breeds, Brahmas have pea combs and yellow skin, Marans have single combs and white skin, Cochins have a single comb and yellow skin, Black Langshans have single combs, white skin, and a very upright build, and Faverolles have single combs, muffs, white skin, and a fifth toe.
And your RIR could very well be laying, as both RIR and Barred Rocks can lay the same shade of brown.

No. Your Blue hens are really based on black, blue just modifies black. You cannot get red sex links breeding to a black (or blue) hen even if she has silver. You cannot see red or yellow in the down.

The hen is not barred so you cannot get a black sex link.

Back
Top Bottom