Sexing Chicks

I trying to figure out what my chicks are. They are almost 3 weeks old. 2 of them have longer wing feather and tail feathers while the other has shorter wings and fuzzy tail. Can anyone help me out?

I was also told that holding a chick with its neck between your fingers facing out that if they kick and resist its a roo, if they let their legs hang it's a pullet. I guess it's an old wives take, but it worked with mine!

In my experience, the boys were the last to lose their downy feathers on their head with little tufts of down shooting out between their big boy feathers, as well as just behind their neck between their wings and the feathers covering the 'elbow' of the wing, while the girls got their big girl feathers first, and quite evenly over their entire body.

These all look like girls to me but I can't imagine I got lucky enough for the only 3 chicks that hatched to be female.

All three have two rows of feathers, different lengths. The first one has one really short row. It is a tiny chick. I had to peal the shell off, it was too tiny to peck out.

smile.png
Hi, I have 8: 4-6 week old chicks I hatched out using 3 Broddie hens.
the plan was to get rid of the Roo's & keep the Hen's.
hmm.png
I marked the to who feathed out first with blue bands,
roll.png
I was prity confident I had it right that these 2 where boy's; case of the way they walked & acted & carried them selves, Up until last night when I noticed all the ones I had thought wher girls had long necks & Red-er Combs & those other 2 didn't.
th.gif

hide.gif
hu.gif
Please HELP Me! I'm so confused on witch are & aren't Roo's?,
& they are easier to get rid of when they're Tinny than when they are Crowing Size.

I have just been given two 3 day old araucana chicks and I have used the feather sexing method on them. It's my first time, but if this method applies to this breed, I got very lucky because they both appear to be hens! Can't wait to find out :)

How were you able to tell a Hen from a Roos with the Americauna's when they are just a couple of days/weeks old?
I just picked up 6 today. They are suppose to be pullets, but he said they were only guaranteed, that 4 out of 5 were. Now I'm very curious as to what I have. Can anyone help me tell the difference when they are so young or do you have to wait until they are 8-12 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom