sexing day old chicks

This sounds pretty cruel and "old wives tale-ish" to me. I'm not going to be dangling my babies by their heads.

All barred rocks have a spot. Male black sexlinks have a spot females do not.

if this is true i have 29 females and 12 males. some i was unsure of. the kicked when i first picked them up but then i picked the up again and they didnt. One i know is a male barred rock based on the dot on his head. but he kicked, hes 5 days old

ok, i looked today and out of the 3 that hatched i think i have.............1st go, two hens and one cock
2nd go, three hens. lol
either way i will be happy with that !!

I didn't know that, how do you tell?
Heres info i got from a website
http://www.thai-farm.com/blog/page/4/

im not good at explaining things.
id make it more confusing
big_smile.png

Sexing the chicks
The Barred Plymouth Rock is an Auto-Sexing breed in its own right so when sexing day olds and month olds, we can look out for little clues to there Jenda.

Clue 1) For a long time people have noted that the head spot in Barred Plymouth rock differs in size and shape in males and females. The males have a much larger, splotchier head spot. The females head spot is small and well defined in comparision.

There are not just one set type of cockerel or pullet head spot, If it was only that easy. Above are females and the photo below are males

Clue 2) The next clue to the sex is to take a look at there legs. The males have a lighter coloured leg and the females have darker coloured legs. Now the good bit Cockerels have double chromosomes so the coloring is muted in the legs, they have yellow to gray on the front of the leg. The Females have darker black colored legs.

This method is not 100% accurate, I would think it would be about 90 % at best to the beginer. There are always a few lady-boys hidden away or it would not be Thailand LOL. For a bit of fun and to improve your skills take photos of subjects week by week write what you think at hatch then at one week , then one month and at adult hood. If you do 10 at the same time I put leg rings on to id them. My last attempt was 8 out of 10 the time before that was 10 out of 10.

I have some BR's I will check them out. I do know when they get older the roos will have a lighter overall appearance than the hens. Thanks that was interesting.

Back
Top Bottom