Sexing eggs!

In two years hopefully I'll be able to set some sex-linked turkey eggs (auburn tom and bronze hen), and maybe sex linked chicken eggs.

Next year I will probably have some sex-linked pigeons and maybe quail.

The hardest part of this experiment is waiting for the outcome.. My chicks are almost two weeks old now... I tried the wing analysis and they all looked the same with long and short... I tried the tail... Well at one week they all had tails... So just got to wait and see.

I am a total techno idiot.  So... don't look to me to try to figure that one out.  I tried to set up a survey once, but failed miserably at it.  I think i'd like to be involved in the set up, though, and perhaps several others (no nay sayers please) can join on a collaborative effort to come up with the survey ?'s and format.  This is NOT a debate about whether it works or not.  What it is is a collaborative setting of eggs by many people, and collection and analysis of data, whether it be + or - in terms of supporting the egg shape theory.  Pics would be helpful, as well as method of incubation, temp of incubation, total # of eggs set vs. eggs hatched, were they all rounded, any discernment re:  choosing specific eggs from a specific hen.  Especially helpful:  folks who have a sex linked pairing to provide immediate gender data at hatch.  Look for a new thread in the early spring announcing the initial set up of survey, looking for ?'s to include on survey.  We'll progress from there.
cool, I would be interested in doing that, please post here when you start the thread in case I miss it. I would be using crested cream legbarsc if they are still laying so I would be able to tell at day old.

CC, in my limited experience, I did not find that to be true.
I haven't found it to be true either but in breakout analysis at universities and incubator companies roundish and large eggs are deemed to be 2 of the causes of malpositions.
Item #21 f. in the following link.
http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00008570/00001/5j

I am starting to regret posting this now. People seem very adamant that its not true but all i'm asking is to see, if a lot of people try, what kind of percentages we get. If you dont want to do it then thats fine, no one is forcing you too.
Don't regret anything. I'm a skeptic too but I won't say definitively it isn't true unless I check it out over the course of an entire year with hundreds of eggs hatched all from the same breed and birds.
Or if some university does a definitive study.
One has to assume Egg hybrid companies like hy-line have conducted similar experiments before.

I tried this with seven eggs a few weeks ago. Could be a coincidence but all seven turned out to be pullets. Will be following this method from now on.
Keep those stats for the survey coming in the spring.

I plan on continuing with this experiment every time I set eggs this year.
If you're using your own eggs, you've got nothing to loose. Pointed eggs taste just as good as round ones.

CC, I've found that I have less luck hatching big eggs.

Back
Top Bottom