Sexing white peas

Just checking to see if I'm understanding the feather difference. Is it that the hens neck feathers have a tighter edge and the boys neck feathers have a wispier edge?
Blow this pic up and look at the fingerlike feathers. Cockbird.
IMG_8765.JPG

Other signs you can look for are a longer thinner train that comes to a point for a cock, whereas a hen will be shorter and blockier. A cock will have a whispy hurl at the base of the butt that hangs down. When they display a cocks train will make a point like a spade and a hen will be rounded. But the for giveaway at this age when the new train feathers are starting to come in is the tip of the train feather will be blockier, a bit wider at the end of the feather. Most two-year-old cocks (January, about 18 months old) will have a few eye feathers so you will know very shortly.
Hen pics; notice the shorter tail/train? Shorter legs also with a smoother rounded body appearance,
IMG_8769.JPG
IMG_8770.JPG
Yearling cockbird; triangular tips on the train feathers and hurl behind the butt and on the sides of train feathers.
IMG_8764.JPG
IMG_8777.JPG
IMG_8781.JPG

Thanks for all the info. All I can say for sure is that the 3 are identical so either all male or female. I'm happy to wait until next spring/summer to see how their tails grow in. I always smile when my older cock is in full display and turns around. Then his powder-puff butt in also on display.

Thanks for all the info. All I can say for sure is that the 3 are identical so either all male or female. I'm happy to wait until next spring/summer to see how their tails grow in. I always smile when my older cock is in full display and turns around. Then his powder-puff butt in also on display.
You won't have to wait that long, they will be quite evident by mid winter.

Back
Top Bottom