Sexing white peas

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I have 3 peas about 14 months old. They seem to be identical in terms of size, shape and feathering, so I posting pics of one of them. Any ideas as to whether male or female?

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Tail.jpg
    Tail.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    857.2 KB · Views: 11
On might be able to tell by looking at the neck feathers. Males without a lot of green blood should have different-shaped feathers. Let me see if I can find some examples.

Just checking to see if I'm understanding the feather difference. Is it that the hens neck feathers have a tighter edge and the boys neck feathers have a wispier edge?
Yes. Try searching this forum for the word scallop. That's the word used to describe a hen's neck feathers. However, if the bird has a lot of green blood in it, the cockbird might have scallops-shaped feathers too.

The first pic appears to be a hen, the other pics don't tell me much. The difference in the neck feathers is that the cocks feather is like fingers and tends to lay flatter than a hen that is more smooth. Also, note that the first pic shows a neck ridge. That is where the feathers make a line or a raised ridge. A cocks feather compresses to lay flat or sometimes makes a furrow.

Other signs you can look for are a longer thinner train that comes to a point for a cock, whereas a hen will be shorter and blockier. A cock will have a whispy hurl at the base of the butt that hangs down. When they display a cocks train will make a point like a spade and a hen will be rounded. But the for giveaway at this age when the new train feathers are starting to come in is the tip of the train feather will be blockier, a bit wider at the end of the feather. Most two-year-old cocks (January, about 18 months old) will have a few eye feathers so you will know very shortly.

Yes. Try searching this forum for the word scallop. That's the word used to describe a hen's neck feathers. However, if the bird has a lot of green blood in it, the cockbird might have scallops-shaped feathers too.

The first pic appears to be a hen, the other pics don't tell me much. The difference in the neck feathers is that the cocks feather is like fingers and tends to lay flatter than a hen that is more smooth. Also, note that the first pic shows a neck ridge. That is where the feathers make a line or a raised ridge. A cocks feather compresses to lay flat or sometimes makes a furrow.
Are there any early tells for the green peas?

Back
Top Bottom