Shamo? Anyone.

Am interested in buying birds-a trio. Would like to see some pix if possible .

I'm not selling adult birds right now. I have hatching eggs available and am expecting chicks soon though. If interested please email [email protected] its way easier to reply and send pictures than the pm system on here. I'll be available to answer any questions later in the afternoon/evening.

Last edited:
These birds look soooo cool. Sounds like they would need special consideration here in the north. Anyone have them in the cold country?

I have a friend in NE TN where the weather was well below zero during the polar vortex that we in the south experienced, and the birds were outside in unheated accommodations, and they fared just fine. That's the only person I know who owns them. She has offered to gift some eggs to me this spring to try a cross with my Marans to get a bigger breasted meat chicken. I haven't decided if I want to deal with them or not.

I tried crossing my shamo out to some of my bigger laying hens a couple years back. I got some WAY COOL LOOKING chickens out of it, but they were just as tough eating as the full blooded Shamos!

I tried crossing my shamo out to some of my bigger laying hens a couple years back. I got some WAY COOL LOOKING chickens out of it, but they were just as tough eating as the full blooded Shamos!
That was exactly what I was afraid and why I have been very ambivalent about having them. I knew the full blooded Shamos were tough, and was afraid that would be the case in a cross.

Thanks for your sharing your experience with me. I think that addresses my concerns.

That was exactly what I was afraid and why I have been very ambivalent about having them.  I knew the full blooded Shamos were tough, and was afraid that would be the case in a cross.

Thanks for your sharing your experience with me.  I think that addresses my concerns.

Can you cook them with low and slow type techniques and get so.e nice stew?

Can you cook them with low and slow type techniques and get so.e nice stew?
I don't know...but I like to have roasters. I raise DP birds and caponize the males, but would like to a cross that would give a bigger breast, so a Dark Cornish might be best. A work in progress.

I doubt I will take the fertilized eggs that my friend offered me.

That was exactly what I was afraid and why I have been very ambivalent about having them.  I knew the full blooded Shamos were tough, and was afraid that would be the case in a cross.

Thanks for your sharing your experience with me.  I think that addresses my concerns.

You're welcome. I gave it the old try and gave up on outcrossing for meat-type birds. For some reason my crossbreed pullets lay HUGE eggs though...! They are the queens of my layer pen; very beautiful but mediocre layers and not good for much else.

I did sell the roosters from my outcrossing at the local swap and they were snapped right up by people whom I imagine were probably going to eat them so there has GOT to be a way to make them edible. I just don't know how, personally. I'm a cornish X fan as far as meaties go.

Back
Top Bottom