She is broody again want to be hatching buddies?

my current broody has been on her nest for over a week now. The other day, I started taking her off so she could do all her necessaries. Well, she'd eat a little and drink a lot, but no pooping. Today, I checked on her and she had wet feathers under her vent and was swollen down there. It was all white stuff... So I took her inside and soaked her rear end in warm water. Boy, did she poop from that! It was almost as much as a person goes! was stinkier than the dog's poo too. man!
sickbyc.gif

I'm glad I helped her out, though. Poor girl...

Quote:
since this is a hatching buddy thread I dont see why you couldnt ask questions....thats what buddies are for right?

Since I got the ok for questions, here I go LOL. I put my broody in a large rabbit cage in my coop. I put the food and water in one end and it leaves her plenty of room for the nest at the other. So far no poo in 3 days. Should I take her out of there and put her in the run for awhile each day? I doesn't seem like she has even moved in 3 days. I guess she is turning her eggs although I never see her do it. If all goes well I should have a May 20th hatch day. I really don't know if I can last that long:D. Thanks everyone for helping this newbie along. Oh yeah, when I picked up the local fertile eggs I made my hubby go with me. He has no interest in chickens although he did build my coop for me. He really didn't want to go but I talked him in to it. When we got there the lady showed us her very impressive set up and her cabinet incubator. She just hatched quail. Well that got my DH interested and when we left there we bought an incubator! Now I need more and bigger coops! Yep this is addicting!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I did take her off today and put her in the run. She was confused at first but she did eat and poo and drink water. It was funny, she was pecking around for about 5 minitutes then her head popped up and she ran into the coop and onto her nest. LOL it was like she suddenly remembered she had eggs! I love this!

I too put some fertile eggs under my bo broodie. The eggs were given to me because the gentleman selling them said they should have been put into the incubator a week ago so the hatch rate would not be great. The eggs should hatch this Saturday May 8. If I do not get a any to hatch I am going to purchase some day olds and stick them under her. She is so MEAN!!!. I have had other chickens get in with her and lay eggs and I go out there and pick her up and take out the unmarked eggs and put her back. I wear a long sleeve shirt and gloves. She is a good broodie, I hope she will be a good mommie. Wish us Luck!
cool.png
Ck

Heres my list of what hatching:

Bantam Blue wyandotte Honey: 4 Bantam SLW and 1 bantam Partridge wyandotte
Bantam RC RIR Coco: 3 Bantam SLW eggs

Friends incubator: 3 Bantam SLW eggs, 1 Bantam Partridge, and maybe a serama egg or two or Mille Fleur D'uccles!

Well, I am up to 3 broodies now. The first 2 I did give eggs to. They are each sitting on Delaware eggs. Broody # 3 is a Blue Splash Marans. I have been booting her off the nest for 3 days. I think I may have to give in and let her sit also. Here are my first 2 broodies ...
first one is a LF Cochin, and the second one is a BCMarans.

4-30-10023.jpg

4-30-10024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom