She laid just the egg white???

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
I have 4 Australorps, all 4 are 6 months old and have been laying very regularly for some time now. I went out this morning to let everyone free range and I had one egg as usual in the best box. (Normally my other 3 will lay in the late morning/early afternoon.) To my shock the was some kind of substance in the other nest box.
I grabbed my gloves.
20180923_082608.jpg
20180923_082545.jpg

It looks like (and has the consistency of) an egg white.
20180923_082616.jpg

I didn't see any shell anywhere. Everyone is acting normal and looks normal. But this is bizarre to me.

Is this normal??? They eat layer feed so they get calcium, and they free range 4 acres. I've heard of no shell eggs, but the pictures of "no shell" look like soft shell. This was seriously NO SHELL and no yolk.

I've cleaned the box and replaced bedding. Can anyone advise me on this? Should I be worried?

How long is that?
Was probably a thin or soft shelled egg, not uncommon for newly laying pullets and easily broken and thus fair game for eating, they ate most of it before you found it.
Hopefully it was a one time thing.
I sure hope they didn't eat it... I really don't want to deal with an egg eater. Yesterday afternoon though the other two laid and I didn't get home to let them back out until 6. The other two eggs were fine. Fingers crossed.

They've all been laying for almost 3 months. I guess saying that now makes me realize they are still pretty new at it still.

I sure hope they didn't eat it... I really don't want to deal with an egg eater. Yesterday afternoon though the other two laid and I didn't get home to let them back out until 6. The other two eggs were fine. Fingers crossed.

They've all been laying for almost 3 months. I guess saying that now makes me realize they are still pretty new at it still.
3 months is pretty long, usually the 'weird new layer' eggs are done by a month or so.
Eating an easily broken egg does not mean they will all become egg eaters.
Having a bird consistently lay thin/soft eggs can have some of them actively looking for those easy meals tho. BTDT.
Wait and see.

3 months is pretty long, usually the 'weird new layer' eggs are done by a month or so.
Eating an easily broken egg does not mean they will all become egg eaters.
Having a bird consistently lay thin/soft eggs can have some of them actively looking for those easy meals tho. BTDT.
Wait and see.
I want to thank you for always being so helpful on here. I've posted multiple times with newbie questions or concerns, and you have helped me a lot

Back
Top Bottom