She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Are those pullet eggs she stole??? They are super tiny.
I forgot to answer this this morning. I get a lot of "wind eggs" from 2 of my silkies. If you crack them, they won't have a yolk. That's what the tiny eggs are. I've told you guys how hands off I am with broodies. I didn't even know they were in there until I lifted her last night

Honestly, I would love to see what you could do with them in that microwave. If you hatched BCM well in that, LG should pay you
There is a couple different breeds that are supposed to be harder to hatch that I would love to try just to see how well I would do. lol

So you guys have never heard of using the gas method????? Much more humane. They just breath in the carbon monoxide gas and fall asleep. Painless and less messy. Mix vinegar and baking soda in a tall glass and place the chick in the bottom of a small bucket and put the glass in the bucket and the gas will fall to the bottom of the bucket and that's where the chick is, so it breaths the gas in. Easy.

Yes, I read a whole thread on that and watched a whole lot of veteran hatchers tear it apart with how inhumane it was and how much the chick actually suffer from suffication and carbon monoxide poisoning before succumbing to death. There was even a couple who had tried it and felt so terrible about the length of time it took and the distress the chick was in prior that said they would never do it again.

Could you imagine if I had a styrobator here?
You would have to incubate with it floating in the bathtub
gig.gif

I'd love to have some of that dry air right now, though. We have had dew points in the 70s and 80s for almost 2 months. This is the hottest summer I can remember in 20 years

So I just got an email from USPS that my eggs are being held for pickup at the post office.....in JACKSONVILLE! I call Jacksonville, spoke to the woman there and she said this breeder ships eggs every day with a big pink sticker of an egg on the package and there is usually never a problem but for some reason my eggs have been held and now misplaced! She's going to work on locating them and call me back.
he.gif

Really? Never heard of this but am going to save this information. I would much prefer a method that doesn't involve direct contact. Thank you so much!!
I hope your eggs are found and get to you safe and sound!

There is a couple different breeds that are supposed to be harder to hatch that I would love to try just to see how well I would do. lol

Yes, I read a whole thread on that and watched a whole lot of veteran hatchers tear it apart with how inhumane it was and how much the chick actually suffer from suffication and carbon monoxide poisoning before succumbing to death.  There was even a couple who had tried it and felt so terrible about the length of time it took and the distress the chick was in prior that said they would never do it again.

I read that too. Methods that are hardest for me are easiest for the bird, so I now cut deep and walk away.

I tried to find your response to the 50% BCM parade, but I lost it. I'll make you a deal. I'll go dry on the next batch, and we will set the parade bar at 75% of fertile eggs
Deal! Get those eggs in there!!! lol

I read that too. Methods that are hardest for me are easiest for the bird, so I now cut deep and walk away.
That was the conclusion that I came to too. I've never tried it so I don't know who's right or wrong, I just couldn't handle picturing a chick closed in a container feeling itself running out of and and starting to panick before passing out. And yes, my mind can be my worst enemy. It goes off on imagining the worst. I think quick and done would be more humane for them even if it's less so for us.

Yes, I read a whole thread on that and watched a whole lot of veteran hatchers tear it apart with how inhumane it was and how much the chick actually suffer from suffication and carbon monoxide poisoning before succumbing to death.  There was even a couple who had tried it and felt so terrible about the length of time it took and the distress the chick was in prior that said they would never do it again.

x2!! Read that thread too...

That was the conclusion that I came to too. I've never tried it so I don't know who's right or wrong, I just couldn't handle picturing a chick closed in a container feeling itself running out of and and starting to panick before passing out.  And yes, my mind can be my worst enemy. It goes off on imagining the worst.  I think quick and done would be more humane for them even if it's less so for us.

Exactly... easier for us does not mean easier for them... our responsibility to our flock is to ensure as quick and as humane an ending as possible, when possible... JMO... :)

So I just got an email from USPS that my eggs are being held for pickup at the post office.....in JACKSONVILLE! I call Jacksonville, spoke to the woman there and she said this breeder ships eggs every day with a big pink sticker of an egg on the package and there is usually never a problem but for some reason my eggs have been held and now misplaced! She's going to work on locating them and call me back.
he.gif

Really? Never heard of this but am going to save this information. I would much prefer a method that doesn't involve direct contact. Thank you so much!!

OMG!!
fl.gif
Here's hoping they find them.... quickly!!!!

LOL, that's why I bought the Brinsea with the humidity pump. At lockdown, put water in both wells, set it at 70% and walk away. If I open it, I spritz the humidity pad with a squirt bottle so the pump doesn't have to work so hard. Temp and humidity stabilizes in a minute or so.

Could you imagine if I had a styrobator here?

Surely they don't even sell styros out there.... do they?
big_smile.png

I'm a bullet to the head kind of gal....
hide.gif

So you guys have never heard of using the gas method????? Much more humane. They just breath in the carbon monoxide gas and fall asleep. Painless and less messy. Mix vinegar and baking soda in a tall glass and place the chick in the bottom of a small bucket and put the glass in the bucket and the gas will fall to the bottom of the bucket and that's where the chick is, so it breaths the gas in. Easy.
This is a pretty good idea. I have seen a guy gas rats before for snake food. They just go to sleep. They don't run around or put up a fuss at all. Just... sleepy time for the forevernap.

LOL, not aimed at you particularly, it happens all the time on BYC. Sorry if I sounded snotty.

Sidewing and I have to deal with altitude as well, which has its own challenges.
Altitude and attitudes! JUST KIDDING! It is a bit different. If I run dry I would get 50% air cell within 14 days. Pretty dry here.

I forgot to answer this this morning. I get a lot of "wind eggs" from 2 of my silkies. If you crack them, they won't have a yolk. That's what the tiny eggs are. I've told you guys how hands off I am with broodies. I didn't even know they were in there until I lifted her last night
Hats off for using "wind". I hate that other phrase.

Back
Top Bottom