She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

So after my last try at incubation was thwarted by a faulty thermoswitch (I went downstairs to work one morning only to find that they had been at ~60*c for who knows how long) I kind of ran away from BYC for a while. In July sometime one of my students gave me two fertile eggs they had gotten from somewhere. Real specific, I know.

Anyways, I have been firmly team red. After sourcing a heating pad and some stuffing, I made a nest type incubator with an extra thermoswitch. I turn the eggs a little bit two to three times a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. That's it. I candled on day 14 (maybeish?) to find one live and one dead. Today I candled and confirmed so I cracked the dead one just for a look (hoooo boy did it stink).

Problem is, I have been so firmly team red, I forgot the set date... Any hints for guesstimating that hatch date? I am thinking it is sometime this week is as I am pretty sure I got those eggs next to last week of July...

Also, allergic to cats yet fostering a rescue kitten while it waits for a forever home. Did I mention I am NOT a cat person? And that my appt is probably no pets allowed? I sm a sucker for beings in need.

When you candle an egg that is ready for lockdown from the air cell end, you will see:

A large dark mass filling 2/3 of the egg
A distinct membrane line between the embryo and the air cell
The membrane will be tilted to one side in most cases
There will be no or virtually no amber (liquid) between the dark mass and the membrane
At this point you are 2-3 days from hatch

If you are a little late, you may also:
See a beak poked up into the air cell
Hear cheeping
At this point you are 1-2 days from hatch

Here's my boy... he's got a bit of fretting in his tail, but starting to fill out nicely... still only 6 or 7 months old too... no brassy or leakage...

Some of the kiddos... think there's a bunch of pullets, but not sure if I'll keep any of this batch yet...

Be careful what you dare... ;)

Here's my boy... he's got a bit of fretting in his tail, but starting to fill out nicely... still only 6 or 7 months old too... no brassy or leakage...

Some of the kiddos... think there's a bunch of pullets, but not sure if I'll keep any of this batch yet...

Be careful what you dare... ;)
Bet you won't do it again. I bet those are the only pictures you have...

Back
Top Bottom