She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Yes. I had 4 in my straight run batch, but the others were much worse. I have a few very dark hens that I can breed him to, but the comb is severe

I realiz3d what you were talking about soon as I saw the pic... looks more like my Wheaten Sulmtaler roo in that area...

Don has me gun shy...
He's a beautiful bird, and I love him, but I have some things to work on

Working on is different than being a poultry mill... selling for dark egg layers is a good cull out, but at least you know and understand the differences... I've seen good stock bred up from horrific hatchery birds, so it can be done...

smack.gif
idunno.gif

SC, is his comb tipped purple?
smack.gif
Your the one who asked I was just answering
smack.gif

Hey, Amy, I wanted to ask, if it's ok... how far back are you a Campbell?
LOL It's fine. How far back??? Not sure if I understand the question. Campbell is my surname by birth. I've never been married so I guess I can just say my maiden name....lol In our ancestrial search I so far can only go back to my great great grandfather because I can't find the info on his parentage to keep going back. I can find a hundred Campbell lines and not a one that I connect over to ours. It doesn't help that my great great grandfather was married twice and we do not know the second wife or the 2 kids he had with her.

I think he's beautiful!

Thanks guys, but his comb is a DQ. It's too big, too meaty, and has too many points. He also has a halo, though not as bad as the others that came with him. Anyone that knows how to critique the faults, feel free, you won't hurt my feelings. Snowbird, if you happen to see this, I would love to hear you note every fault. I need to know what to breed out
Both of my older roos have massive combs like that....I mean HUGE! lol

I realiz3d what you were talking about soon as I saw the pic... looks more like my Wheaten Sulmtaler roo in that area...
Working on is different than being a poultry mill... selling for dark egg layers is a good cull out, but at least you know and understand the differences... I've seen good stock bred up from horrific hatchery birds, so it can be done...
That's what I'm hoping to do. I need to know all the faults, but at the same time this is the only roo I have. If I can get a more SOP roo, then Tate will be given some Am hens, and the SOP roo will stay in the BCM pen

Yes, and that's probably not good, either...
He has a carnation comb. If I took a pic from the rear, you could really see the extra points, and would be an automatic DQ for showing
A couple weeks ago I had asked on here about purple on combs because both of my bigger/older roos show purple in their combs at times, sometime significantly. When no one answered I went in search of the topic and found that #1 cause of the tips of the combs/combs going purple in an otherwise healthy chicken is due to stress, many having found mites upon closer inspection. The other more risky reason was a heart condition. I always thought because the combs were so big it was a circulation thing, but I couldn't find anything that pointed in that direction. Some days it's there, other days they are just as red and healthy looking as can be.
hu.gif

Yes, and that's probably not good, either...
He has a carnation comb. If I took a pic from the rear, you could really see the extra points, and would be an automatic DQ for showing

Purple tips on combs can happen due to hot weather, circulation/oxygen flow or when a roo feels... feisty...

Only have 1 pic of my boy right now, since he usually stands on my foot, lol... but I'll post it and a few of his girls...

LOL It's fine. How far back??? Not sure if I understand the question. Campbell is my surname by birth. I've never been married so I guess I can just say my maiden name....lol  In our ancestrial search I so far can only go back to my great great grandfather because I can't find the info on his parentage to keep going back. I can find a hundred Campbell lines and not a one that I connect over to ours. It doesn't help that my great great grandfather was married twice and we do not know the second wife or the 2 kids he had with her.

Sorry, my grandpa was Campbell from his mother, they came direct from Scotland... he was William Campbell Smith and my grandma was a Curnow from Cornwall... :D

Just had me curious...

Back
Top Bottom