She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Great thread, I enjoy the humor and great reading, experience outweighs any book imo so keep them coming. My 1st bator batch are due to hatch this coming Monday / Tuesday. *feeling excited...

Question for both of y'all:
As mentioned, my fist hatching is due this Monday/Tuesday. So this question is really for my own edification and hopefully, help other newbies as well.
What are the pros/cons of taking a hatched chick from the bator into a brooder asap -vs- leaving them be (scflock) until day 21(or longest as possible).

Thank you.

p.s.
I took the blue pill.
cool.png
Been busy, just getting caught up. I leave them for a few reasons. First, I experimented both ways and had higher hatch rates leaving them. I didn't do it enough to say 100% that leaving them is the reason my hatch rates improved, but they did so that's how I do it now. I don't want to risk pipped eggs by dropping humidity. Not saying that it would absolutely kill them, but I'm not risking it. The 24 egg Brinsea is less than half the size of a styrofoam bator, so I actually get less egg rolling by leaving the debris and chicks in there. There just isn't enough space for the eggs to get rolled everywhere. I would actually get more egg rolling if I took out the first 10 chicks that hatched and cleaned up the shells. I think the chicks that are out encourage the others to hatch. Amy does this by playing a youtube video (great idea), I just prefer to do it the natural way. The chicks also tend to pile up on and around unhatched eggs. This, to me, simulates a hen laying on them, again encouraging them to hatch. I like my chicks to be dry and fluffy before introducing them to the real world. Those are my reasons for leaving them

O my what to do I can't read all of this now. what to do what to do I'm a loyal subject to the queen but I'm also a true southern gentleman I'm so afraid I'll be split in half. heck I already am I'm using Amy's sponges and trying to stay scflock's don't touch method. I'll just have to drink some Jack Black and think about it some more
hide.gif

O my what to do I can't read all of this now. what to do what to do I'm a loyal subject to the queen but I'm also a true southern gentleman I'm so afraid I'll be split in half. heck I already am I'm using Amy's sponges and trying to stay scflock's don't touch method. I'll just have to drink some Jack Black and think about it some more
hide.gif
TN? I'm still mad about you guys ruining Marcus Lattimore's NFL career. Amy can have you
tongue.gif

Subscribing! I love this thread!

I do not own a bator .. I was silly enough to fall in love with chickens that spend more time broody than they do laying eggs.

However, I am in the Blue Corner … set and forget, que sera sera. No touching, no candling, no assisting.

That does not mean no worrying, stressing, fretting or stalking
wink.png

Careful BOY I don't like football they ruined the east bank of the river and turned my city that I loved into someplace I don't even know anymore besides this is a chicken thread . and besides that I married a girl from Connecticut and she can cut calf quicker than me so I sleep light and am very careful about anything I say about what's above the Mason Dixon line.

Careful BOY I don't like football they ruined the east bank of the river and turned my city that I loved into someplace I don't even know anymore besides this is a chicken thread .  and besides that I married a girl from Connecticut and she can cut calf quicker than me so I sleep light and am very careful about anything I say about what's above the Mason Dixon line.
I knew I liked you
1f606.png

Back
Top Bottom