She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Ok he's out! He's running around, kind of just barreling into the other eggs. The other one behind him was rocking and since he ran into it, will that mess him up trying to hatch?

I'm thinking of putting him in the brooder.

sit back and enjoy the show and relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx it's all good
thumbsup.gif
pop.gif

I agree with how insane it is! Once I see a pip, I just keep checking it over & over again. I never want to miss a zip & hatch! Hatch day is my favorite!! Congrats on the pip! One of my eggs took almost 24 hours and like Amy said, the average was about 10-12 hours! Update when you get more action!
Seriously, I wish you lived in driving distance!! I would totally buy a coop from you!! Looks awesome!
X2!
How's the incubator? How many eggs are in lockdown?

Still holding! Yeah!! 11 made it to lockdown. 7 bantam cochin, 1 d'uccle, and 3 polish.

Ok he's out! He's running around, kind of just barreling into the other eggs. The other one behind him was rocking and since he ran into it, will that mess him up trying to hatch?

Yeah!! Congrats he made it out! Hope that gets a tidal wave going for you!

Awesome!
clap.gif
Look you finished my coop!
wink.png

Despise country, old and new. 30 minutes after posting the ad I had someone call and ask if I could build a 5X8. I may be on to something here
The one we are working on is 5x12. Got a good share of it done.

Somebody needed to. Amy has been MIA, and I'm sporadic on the weekends
gig.gif

Is it as nasty hot for you guys as it is here? 93 and 70% humidity. Love the south in the summer...
But, the coop is done, and I just cracked my first frosty beverage
thumbsup.gif

If Dan is still here, I'm talking about chocolate milk
smack.gif
Went to the zoo. Tried to find you there, but this zoo only has animals native to New York....lol

i'd be comfortable with 6 or so LF chickens, but 8 would probably be fine. There is a lot of crap on CL for $400, but I'm not trying to get rich. I just like paying for feed with chicken money
See, that's perfect. I need one for my 6 Spitzhauben...lol

The "experts" will say them playing soccer with teh other eggs won't hurt. This "non expert" says not taking the chance they go in the brooder...lol

Still holding! Yeah!! 11 made it to lockdown. 7 bantam cochin, 1 d'uccle, and 3 polish.
Yay!!! Come on chickies!! The frizzle weird one is still going strong right?

Can you tell me how many man hours you have into it?  What did you use for fasteners?  Screws?  Nails?  do you have a pneumatic nail gun?  That's my new favorite tool.  Don't be afraid to price it up.  Yours is better than the junk out there.  What are you using for floor?  Clean out door?  I like your roof overhang and outside nest boxes.  The only thing I might do differently, would be to put in a window at each gable for increased ventilation,  and more light.  But... then... I'm looking at it from the angle of my neck of the woods, where it's dark and cloudy so often.  I assume you are selling "where is.  As is."
All very good points. I have 12.5 hours in it, and that's part of how I came up with the price. Heavily framed by 2X4s held together by 3" Torx screws. All walls and roof mounted with pneumatic gun and 1.5" finish nails. Metal roof put on with metalXwood self tapping screws. Floor is 1/2 plywood covered with linoleum. This baby ain't moving. My personal coops have windows, but that would drive the price up. I'm building it with on hand materials. I like the vent thought, though, and will add those to the next one. Thanks
If I sold it priced to comparable coops on CL, it would be $400-500, but I have an endless supply of free wood and enjoy building them. If I can sell them quickly at $250, then that will just be more chicken money that I don't have to come out of pocket with

Awesome!  :clap  Look you finished  my coop! ;)

The one we are working on is 5x12. Got a good share of it done.

Went to the zoo. Tried to find you there, but this zoo only has animals native to New York....lol

See, that's perfect. I need one for my 6 Spitzhauben...lol

The "experts" will say them playing soccer with teh other eggs won't hurt. This "non expert" says not taking the chance they go in the brooder...lol

Yay!!! Come on chickies!! The frizzle weird one is still going strong right?
It was 100% from original set :gig
I have an 8x12 for my girls only pen. I bought a storage shed and converted cheaper than I could build
I was at the zoo, but it was my birthday and they had frozen my treat in an ice cube. I was busy...
I love a good soccer match :lau

:smack

Yay!!! Not that I have a ton of experience but with the experience I do have, the first have always been rambunctious little guys!! And as you get more pips the hatched one will go over to the egg and peak at it and tell its brother/sister "come on out now". I think keeping him in will definitely encourage the others to make progress! Congrats!
i'd be comfortable with 6 or so LF chickens, but 8 would probably be fine. There is a lot of crap on CL for $400, but I'm not trying to get rich. I just like paying for feed with chicken money

Sounds good! Someone by me on CL makes wooden brooders and charges $250. I never bought one but they look like good quality. He also makes a little kit to go with them; a small bag of starter, a dish, and I think some pine shavings. I thought that was a pretty good marketing tool. I wanted to ask him to build a coop for me but if a brooder is $250, I can't imagine how much a coop would be. I think yours is well worth that much, see how it goes, you could probably up the price. And you get free wood, right? Perfect!

It was 100% from original set
gig.gif

I have an 8x12 for my girls only pen. I bought a storage shed and converted cheaper than I could build
I was at the zoo, but it was my birthday and they had frozen my treat in an ice cube. I was busy...
I love a good soccer match
lau.gif

smack.gif
Going through smack withdrawl???? lol

I have one more batch of turkey eggs cooking, and another batch collecting.

I have no idea how many birds I have right now, but I will take a guess:

turkeys 4 adults, about 90 juvenile, hoping for 25 or so more to hatch
layers 170 production reds, about 30 Easter Egger juveniles
broilers 20 in the freezer, 17 nearly grown out, 25 just hatched
8 bantams...quote of the day from DH "Are you sure all those chickens came from big eggs?"  ;)

So there's a few birds around here.  Now all I have to do is market them.

Circumstances have put me in the position where I can buy a good incubator.  So my dilemma is do I buy a fully loaded Brinsea 40, an Ova-Easy 100, a fully loaded GQF or Dickey, or try the used market and upgrade something?

I thought about it today while weeding the garden and I need to be able to incubate 4 times as many eggs as I hatch, and all counts are based on turkey eggs.  I want to have the capacity to hatch 25 turkey eggs a week minimum, and the Brinsea 40 would be the smallest that could do that.  But with the 40, I'd still need to use my homebuilt bator to cook for the first three weeks.

The Ova Easy, GQF or Dickey would probably be smarter choices with my job.  I want the redundant temp controls, auto humidity during hatch, and a glass (or acrylic) large viewing window.

If my current hens are typical turkey broodies, I will keep doing the incubation by myself.  Those girls are flakes!

WallnutHill,
I just looked up the thread I mentioned earlier to find out the names of the incubators that were highly recommended for bigger hatches. It was GQF & Dickey! But as I came back to write you, I saw that you already mentioned those in your post. You know your bators! ;)

Back
Top Bottom