Shipping adult chickens - anyone with experience?

Debbie292d

Silkie Mom
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Jul 22, 2021
EC Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I'm being asked to ship 3 nearly full-grown silkie chickens within the same state, 3.5 hours away. They know this would cost huge.

I assume I'd go Overnight USPS, but I've never done this nor heard of it, and certainly not sure how I feel about sticking my 3 lovelies into a box and leaving them at the post office. I told them I'd think about it if I could find anyone who had done this.

I'm being asked to ship 3 nearly full-grown silkie chickens within the same state, 3.5 hours away. They know this would cost huge.

I assume I'd go Overnight USPS, but I've never done this nor heard of it, and certainly not sure how I feel about sticking my 3 lovelies into a box and leaving them at the post office. I told them I'd think about it if I could find anyone who had done this.
I agree meeting would be easiest. However I ship live adult ducks frequently and chickens would be about the same thing. You usually have to use approved boxes, such as horizon boxes. I make my own but they're 12" square. You'd probably only be able to fit two per box max. So that would mean you'd have to ship two boxes. Adult birds handle it really well though. I ship express 2-day usually. I ship Monday and they arrive Wednesday morning. Within the same state they'd arrive pretty quick though. Mine are shipped all over.

I agree meeting would be easiest. However I ship live adult ducks frequently and chickens would be about the same thing. You usually have to use approved boxes, such as horizon boxes. I make my own but they're 12" square. You'd probably only be able to fit two per box max. So that would mean you'd have to ship two boxes. Adult birds handle it really well though. I ship express 2-day usually. I ship Monday and they arrive Wednesday morning. Within the same state they'd arrive pretty quick though. Mine are shipped all over.
Thank you! She ended up driving up here, but at least now I know it can be done for in the future. I sure hope it doesn't though!

Back
Top Bottom