Shipping Eggs

Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
So I’ve been shipping eggs for a few months and everything was good. I was using USPS, but packages started arriving weeks late and going to completely wrong way. No eggs broke though. I started using FedEx instead of USPS, because FedEx is more reliable. All my packages arrive on time, but recently eggs have been breaking. Only when I use FedEx. Anyone have tips/ideas/recommendations? Should I go back to USPS, or should I ship different?

How I pack and ship:
- Wrap each egg individually with bubble wrap
- Line the box with large bubble bubble wrap
- Line the box with industrial air pockets around the box
- Set each egg wrapped individually fat side up in the box
- Put packing peanuts throughout the box
- Make sure there is no wiggle room in the box
- Tape it up and ship it

Fed ex uses an almost completely automated sorting system. The hatching eggs your shipping get jostled, dropped ,tossed and stacked just like all the other packages. Which is why you are having damaged eggs. The USPS moves hatching eggs through their system by hand. I do not know what is going on with their routing system lately. I will be tracking packages coming from the east. They will bypass my state. Send them to the state directly west of my state. Then back to my state. Which adds at least a day or two to the transit time. I would stick with USPS. Ship on Monday or Tuesday if possible. To prevent eggs sitting over the weekend. If they are delayed. A late delivered egg still has a chance at hatching. A broken egg is just a loss.

Someone on eBay puts there eggs in a pool noodle. Seemed like a good idea to me. I was reading reviews on sellers and the seller said that's how he shipped them..seems a good idea and they're cheap.

Fed ex uses an almost completely automated sorting system. The hatching eggs your shipping get jostled, dropped ,tossed and stacked just like all the other packages. Which is why you are having damaged eggs. The USPS moves hatching eggs through their system by hand. I do not know what is going on with their routing system lately. I will be tracking packages coming from the east. They will bypass my state. Send them to the state directly west of my state. Then back to my state. Which adds at least a day or two to the transit time. I would stick with USPS. Ship on Monday or Tuesday if possible. To prevent eggs sitting over the weekend. If they are delayed. A late delivered egg still has a chance at hatching. A broken egg is just a loss.
I'm glad someone else has noticed this problem. Someone shipped me eggs and sent me a picture of the shipping label which had my local post offices address to hold for pickup. A post office 30 minutes from me in a different town and county just called me to come pickup my eggs😑 The same thing happens to my ducklings and my chicks!!

I'm glad someone else has noticed this problem. Someone shipped me eggs and sent me a picture of the shipping label which had my local post offices address to hold for pickup. A post office 30 minutes from me in a different town and county just called me to come pickup my eggs😑 The same thing happens to my ducklings and my chicks!!
I to live in nowhere land with a 20 or 30 minute drive to a post office...

I to live in nowhere land with a 20 or 30 minute drive to a post office...
We have a local post office 4 minutes from me, I've never had any issues until this year🤷‍♀️ my chicks ended up an hour away, 1 shipment sat at a different post office all day before someone called me and my ducklings sat at a post office 30 minutes away from me all day long until someone decided to deliver them to my local post office.

I had countless chicks shipped last year and they all ended up at my local post office.

Someone on eBay puts there eggs in a pool noodle. Seemed like a good idea to me. I was reading reviews on sellers and the seller said that's how he shipped them..seems a good idea and they're cheap.
I had some shipped to me in pool noodles and they were broken, I don't recommend that at all.

I was talking to the clerk at our post office. She told me someone called asking about their chick order. That according to tracking had arrived. They found out it was at a nearby post office. The postmaster made a mad dash trip to intercept and deliver them. In his personal vehicle. I give kudos to the guy and mistakes do happen. They just seem to be happening pretty frequently.

I was talking to the clerk at our post office. She told me someone called asking about their chick order. That according to tracking had arrived. They found out it was at a nearby post office. The postmaster made a mad dash trip to intercept and deliver them. In his personal vehicle. I give kudos to the guy and mistakes do happen. They just seem to be happening pretty frequently.
Agreed, our post master is the best! She even held my ducklings at the library because I couldn't get to the post office before they closed. It's just the "system" seems to be broken. Lol

I had shipped eggs from NC, and AL shipped across the state. 3/12 for NC, 4/18, of course that includes some that I set, that looked like they would never hatch, but I tried to hatch them anyway. I had better luck with a eggs shipped one state away, they got to me over night. 17/24, and I had the best results from my own eggs 11/11.

Back
Top Bottom