Shipping quail chicks

BastyPutt

Yes, your Polish is a cockerel...
May 9, 2020
Central Oregon
I was recently talking to some of you fine quail folks and we were discussing shipping quail chicks and I had said I had a shipment scheduled from Hoovers for 30 various cortunix, and I would update you all on that shipment.

I then toted on USPS and how they have always done a great job with my chicken chicks....

I can't find that thread now, but here is that update.

30 quail chicks DOA (maybe more if they sent extras. I didn't exhume the bodies). There wasn't any poop in the box, or much evidence to suggest they were alive very long at all. I got the call to come in and I always hear the chirping in the background at the PO and this time heard nothing. The callous USPS employee handed me the box "havent heard a peep all morning". Thanks a lot doofus, wonder why.

Anyway, without asking for any proof of death, Hoovers offered me a refund or a replacement. I felt a bit guilty thinking if I took the replacements I'd be potentially contributing to another dead batch, but then realized regardless of whether or not I took the replacement, these chicks would be either shipped or disposed of - so I took the replacement.

Anyway, the second batch shipped yesterday and just arrived at my distribution center, which means they should be available for pick up tomorrow.

I do also have 30 Caledon (sp) hatching eggs enroute just in case this fails again.

A partial reason why I am here now is because I am so worried about the little guys that I can't sleep 😂. I've never experienced this with chickens either, and I have a ton of them! Hopefully not an emotional indicator of my future quail journey.

For anyone who cares or is interested, I'll update tomorrow.

That's awful to hear about all of the dead chicks. I've never shipped live animals (except for black soldier fly larvae and I'll be ordering live fish soon), but it always worries me that they won't make it.

That's awful to hear about all of the dead chicks. I've never shipped live animals (except for black soldier fly larvae and I'll be ordering live fish soon), but it always worries me that they won't make it.
Well....

32 live chicks and 2 dead this morning. Absolutley shocked.

It took them a few minutes to get situated in the brooder then they were off to the races. They look super healthy.

Side note, I am taken a back by how small they are! Crazy.

*ahhemm* eBay *fake cough*
I really want to add some celadon but I don't want that many of them because I want to incubate some of my original hatchlings eggs...so I was looking here and etsy for a smaller number.. I also don't have room for a separate celadon cage and it makes me feel bad because they put so much working into breeding true lol.

Well....

32 live chicks and 2 dead this morning. Absolutley shocked.

It took them a few minutes to get situated in the brooder then they were off to the races. They look super healthy.

Side note, I am taken a back by how small they are! Crazy.
I couldn't believe how small they were either!

I am surprised there were so many dead (good for only 2 this round). I had read how hardy and resilient quail were and after we did our first hatch (and are completely inexperienced) I was pretty convinced that they lived up to the hardiness reputation. We had great survival rates with our shipped chicken chicks, I would have expected quail to do better than that.

Quail are pretty fragile as chicks. Plus with such small bodies, they get chilled far faster
Yep exactly. I'm sure that whatever happened to the first bunch happened quickly and suddenly. I know they ship by air, so leaving them on the tarmac in the middle of the night for 10 mins may do it.

I will say, I certainly buy the hardiness statement. If nothing else, they are far more athletic (fast) and seem to be much less inept. Very impressed by them already.

Back
Top Bottom