Shipping quail chicks

Button quail are even smaller! You don't understand how small they are until you see them in person.
I can't imagine.

So these were the "variety" Cortunix. I don't know the first thing about the varieties, but any chance anyone has any insight what some of these may be? I understand the red light makes it a bit more difficult. Not concerned about sexing, I know that isn't possible until hey crow or lay an egg in most varieties. There is one that has some red (gold) in it, I can't seem to find anything like that.

I have also been entirely unproductive today. Can get away from watching them at the brooder!

Attachments

• 5957C2B9-5DC4-472B-AC55-6E232387BCB4.jpeg
    5957C2B9-5DC4-472B-AC55-6E232387BCB4.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 3
  • E499E4DC-88D5-412E-B68E-79FD84A79115.jpeg
    E499E4DC-88D5-412E-B68E-79FD84A79115.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 99054172-5AB2-4602-AA99-399710152542.jpeg
    99054172-5AB2-4602-AA99-399710152542.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 3
The red light makes it very, very hard to tell. There is a roux colour that will often look orange/red as a chick.
Ok I'll snag some pics and get the light off tomorrow. Don't want to disturb them.

One quick question if you don't mind.

I always add sugar to the water for my chicken chicks when they come in for the few days and feed fermented food (not free choice) every other day for their entire existence to help with pasty butt.

Would either have any negative consequences with the quail chicks?

I wouldn't use sugar water. I might add some Nutri-Drench to their water after the stressful trip, but only for a few days. I've heard people swear by fermented food, but I've never tried it. I don't know if it would be okay for chicks, but it's fine for adults.

I wouldn't use sugar water. I might add some Nutri-Drench to their water after the stressful trip, but only for a few days. I've heard people swear by fermented food, but I've never tried it. I don't know if it would be okay for chicks, but it's fine for adults.
Got it on the sugar water. Thank you.

We have been feeding a whole grain/red pepper flake fermented mash to our chicken flock for years. Long enough to where I couldn't comparatively tell you if it has been beneficial because it's all I've known for some time. I know we haven't had any gut related issues, but I know there are folks with standard feed who can say the same. If there is one thing that is certain it is that they love it. There is a whole heap of them every morning waiting by the ferm feed trays.

In terms of the chicks, I can confidently say that it has helped with pasty butt. We rarely get any occurrences anymore.

We lost two overnight. I can't keep track of behaviors at the moment because they look like ants all over, but we will just chalk it up to shipping shock.

I wasn't grinding up their food either. Hoping this wasn't it, but I did grind their food today after changing this pads this morning.

I do have the food and water out of the heat, but just barely - this is what I'd do with the chickens. Not sure if that is advisable.

These things certainly are messy. It's like they have a goal to get the food out of the feeder opposed to eating it.

Here is a pic of them in the box when I was changing their pads out this morning. I think I've ID most of them at this point, but let me know if you see anything in there interesting. I just realized it is blurry because I was scrambling to get them back in the brooder. Maybe next time I'll get one that is actually good.

I do realize I've changed the topic of the thread. If you'd prefer I start anew one id be happy to.

I hate to say it, but not grinding the food may have contributed to your loss. Birds have such a high metabolism that if they aren't eating almost constantly (especially as chicks when they're doubling in size every few days), it can really affect their health.

I hate to say it, but not grinding the food may have contributed to your loss. Birds have such a high metabolism that if they aren't eating almost constantly (especially as chicks when they're doubling in size every few days), it can really affect their health.
Yeah what I was thinking as well.

I started watching the cortunix corner guy on YouTube. I was in bed last night when he first mentioned the grinding, and i almost got up and did it, but obviously didn't.

Yeah what I was thinking as well.

I started watching the cortunix corner guy on YouTube. I was in bed last night when he first mentioned the grinding, and i almost got up and did it, but obviously didn't.
We devoured that channel before we got our eggs in preparation.

Back
Top Bottom