Should I be concerned about this feed?

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I purchased Prince brand 18% All Flock pellets; it says gamebird and I’m not sure of the significance. The crude analysis lacks mentioning methionine. I have a small flock of hens, pullets and roos, dual purpose with no intention to raise for meat. Is this feed ok? Prior to this I fed Dumor 17% All flock pellet which did list methionine amt.
Should I go back to Dumor?
IMG_4182.jpeg

That states it's an all flock feed, and I would consider it to be safe for regular flocks due to the amount of protein in it. If it aims to market to people raising game birds, the protein content is far too low to be of any real use. So, yes, it's perfectly fine to feed mixed flocks.

That states it's an all flock feed, and I would consider it to be safe for regular flocks due to the amount of protein in it. If it aims to market to people raising game birds, the protein content is far too low to be of any real use. So, yes, it's perfectly fine to feed mixed flocks.
Thank you. I thought the same regarding game bird and protein, but I bought it more for 18% protein, pellet and its midwest local.
The lack of methionine specifically has me concerned. I don’t know if the other ingredients contain sources of it but I know it’s an essential AA. Free ranging now yields slim pickings for bugs and snow can come at anytime.
@U_Stormcrow any reason to change the feed?

Thank you. I thought the same regarding game bird and protein, but I bought it more for 18% protein, pellet and its midwest local.
The lack of methionine specifically has me concerned. I don’t know if the other ingredients contain sources of it but I know it’s an essential AA. Free ranging now yields slim pickings for bugs and snow can come at anytime.
@U_Stormcrow any reason to change the feed?
Without knowing the Met levels, I'd be hesitant to try to "fix" things. Actually, I'm generally against "fixing" feeds at all. Here, its not that Met is absent, its that the levels aren't guaranteed.

The good news is that wheat middlins isn't a terrible Met source. Subpar, yes, but not terrible. Soy meal and alfala meal are both relatively high met sources, I'd guess that, while they don't test, your Met levels are likely in the 0.31 to 0.34 range based on the Lys level, common ratios, etc. That's fine for most mixed flocks.

Unless you are seeing health/developmental issues clearly associated with low met levels, I wouldn't change anything.

I purchased Prince brand 18% All Flock pellets; it says gamebird and I’m not sure of the significance. The crude analysis lacks mentioning methionine. I have a small flock of hens, pullets and roos, dual purpose with no intention to raise for meat. Is this feed ok? Prior to this I fed Dumor 17% All flock pellet which did list methionine amt.
Should I go back to Dumor? View attachment 3676963
Their explanation is on the PDF I linked below, but basically...

"Essentially all companies balance diets for methionine and lysine, the first two amino acids to limit production n in corn-soybean-based diets. However, Prince feeds include ingredients such as: pork meat and bone meal, alfalfa meal, and linseed meal. These other ingredients help to supply other essential amino acids, key fatty acids, and highly digestible minerals, allowing for maximum production."

https://genfarmsupply.com/products-services/pdf/poultry/Animal-Feeds_2020_Poultry.pdf

Without knowing the Met levels, I'd be hesitant to try to "fix" things. Actually, I'm generally against "fixing" feeds at all. Here, its not that Met is absent, its that the levels aren't guaranteed.

The good news is that wheat middlins isn't a terrible Met source. Subpar, yes, but not terrible. Soy meal and alfala meal are both relatively high met sources, I'd guess that, while they don't test, your Met levels are likely in the 0.31 to 0.34 range based on the Lys level, common ratios, etc. That's fine for most mixed flocks.

Unless you are seeing health/developmental issues clearly associated with low met levels, I wouldn't change anything.
Thank you so much. The price point for flock raiser pellets is $5/50 lb more.
Since the met sources are decent I think I will continue with Prince-thx again for the reassurance

Their explanation is on the PDF I linked below, but basically...

"Essentially all companies balance diets for methionine and lysine, the first two amino acids to limit production n in corn-soybean-based diets. However, Prince feeds include ingredients such as: pork meat and bone meal, alfalfa meal, and linseed meal. These other ingredients help to supply other essential amino acids, key fatty acids, and highly digestible minerals, allowing for maximum production."

https://genfarmsupply.com/products-services/pdf/poultry/Animal-Feeds_2020_Poultry.pdf
thank you— that’s a very helpful link- good info

Back
Top Bottom