Should I get rid of my rooster?

19Chicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
My rooster isn't agressive towards people at all. However, I will see him try to get on top of the hens all of the time and many of them are getting hurt. So far, we have 5 hens in chicken saddles. We need three more for others! We have 7 younger chickens, like 19 weeks old, and the rooster has even tried getting on them! He has 24 hens to himself, but he does some damage to them. He is a one year old Brahma. Very large! I've been contemplating on what to do because I hate giving up on him. I will do it if its necessary. Do you think I should get rid of him?
I've read that Brahmas are gentle giants. That kind of shocked me. Any experience with Brahma roosters here?

Yeah, if he's doing that much damage I think I'd get rid of him. Roosters do go through a very awkward stage at this age where they may be a little rough but if he has that many hens and is still doing that much damage...I don't think I'd put up with it. I'm sure the hens aren't very happy either.

Last edited:
I guess I will get rid of him then. I'm going to have no roosters! Will the hens be ok with that?

I had to cull my rooster because he was very rough the girls (only five pullets which I now know is not enough for one roo) and I always had to keep an eye on him when I worked in the coop. They seemed to look for him for the first day or so, definitely knew he was missing. But a week later, the girls looked so much better, egg production is up and more consistent and the coop is a much more quiet, happy place. They squat for me now, which just cracks me up. My fiesty little EE Zelda is the new leader of the pack.

Cull. Never tolerate a bad rooster, I am getting rid of all 13 of mine here this weekend. They try to be gentle, but are so big my hens are getting ripped up.

Chicken saddles arent the best either, its bad for them. They cant get enough Vit. D and the bugs will overrule their bodies.

FYI- if you get a bantam rooster, you can still get fertile eggs even on big hens. They dont even rip up the hens. and they dont eat much..

He is gone now. We have him to a family friend and asked for them not to kill him. If it doesn't work out, we would get him and find a new home. Anyway, the people immediately put my rooster with their flock (10 hens and a rooster!) and the first thing my rooster does is attack the hell out of the rooster. Now he is staying with goats until they build a coop for him! They said that my rooster was even pecking at the goats! I should stop saying my rooster lol. It was hard letting him to. He was very entertaining.

Decided to post an update on the rooster we got rid of. We went to visit him and the people who we gave him to said "You guys aren't taking him home!" They told us that they love him and have no plans to cull him. They admitted he was very aggressive with chickens (the first day they put him with their chickens and he immediately went after a rooster). So they put him with goats! They say the rooster pecks them and everything. When we got there, we saw a goat headbutt him! Then he turned around and pecked it in the head! He is very happy and has a lot of land to share with two goats (they are a smaller breed). Glad we found him a new home!

You are lucky to have a happy outcome! I am trying to make the same decision now. I had a mean attack roo that went after people but was great with the hens I hated to take him away- but when he damaged (6 months later still hurts) my shin bone, he had to go.
We had a second roo, who is nice to people but has developed into a very rough rooster with the hens. Same as yours. I can not watch. So I have seperated him and not let him back into the coop.
But, now I need to use the run I have him in etc etc. So the decision again. He is a real looker- a large partridge rock.

The bad news is I already picked out 2 new Roosters growing up in my younger group, and I fear we will have more.
Sometimes this is a hard hobby.

Back
Top Bottom