Should I let my chickens free-range in a neighborhood?

Even though my next door neighbor has 30 chickens at their summer home, we have a good relationship for the last two decades, I still would not allow my chickens to wander over to their yard, potentially scratched up their lawn in seconds, destroy their flower beds, and poop on their property. It is just basic courtesy.

If you can't put up a fence, either train your chickens to stay on your property, or stand guard to keep them confine to your lot, or lock them up in their run.

You have been given excellent advice on many levels here. I just wanted to add you can easily make a small pen or fence in a small area, making it portable and covering it (Look up "chicken tractors" in the forum titles for ideas. That way your chickens can enjoy the great outdoors in safety and keeping them, you and the neighbors happy.
You asked if they can be trained to come to their names. I'm not sure about that but they can be trained to come. If my chickens are out and I whistle they come running because they know they are going to get treats.
I know others put treats in a can and shake it and the chickens all come, but they will be a lot safer in your yard where you can keep an eye on them.
Good luck.
I agree, I did get a lot of good advice. I'm thinking about making a small pen. We have a small area fenced off already, so maybe I'll keep them in there. As for a chicken tractor, I've yet to find one that I like and fits in the rules of my neighborhood. I'll try the treat thing.

So the general consensus is I should get a fence? I don't think I have the funds or time to set up an entire fence for my yard, but I think I can renovate my little fenced in area I have.
Thank you!

The consensus is they won't stay where you want then to down by the creek.

You don't have to have a lot of time or money. For example, TSC presently has 100 ft rolls of 2x4 welded wire on sale for $59. You can build 1 heck of a fence, run, pen, coop, cage or whatever you want to call it, that will be secure against predators top, bottom & sides for your 4 chickens for $60.

Yes, the general consensus is you should build a fence. If I had time I would go back through this thread and count how many times you have been told this.......

One thing you NEED to understand about chickens????? If there is somewhere you DON'T want them to go, THAT is where they are going to spend all their time. That is what chickens DO !!!

Last edited:
We live in a neighborhood. First of all make sure you give your neighbors eggs, I have a rooster and thought everyone would hate him, but they actually think hes cute and they love watching him. Chickens poo every place and some may not like tracking poo into your house. I keep them in a fenced like a dog kennel, chain linked, with some fencing zip tied around it (poultry). Remember racoons can fit there paws easy, and they can sense chickens, I've caught a few foxes. One of my neighbors collect the poo for their garden. Ones behind me actually gave me 3 babe chicks for my flock. Remember also neigborhood dogs are bad. I would get some small fencing that you can make bounders or make chicken tunnels.

Wow, I'm getting some very vicious replies. Perhaps I should say that English is not my first language? I may not understand all of your posts; it may have to be repeated several times in different ways before I can truthfully understand. ;-;
I suppose setting aside $60 shouldn't be too hard, but I won't have a break from work until the chicks are finally mature. Which means almost to summer. I'll try the fence thing.
Since everyone is so adamant on fencing, I suppose I can't let them out to the stream.
I know that the neighbors on the left have a kid that's allergic to eggs, but I hopefully will give some eggs to my neighbors. I like to be nice.

1. I think you better be planning to be standing between your chickens and their property line, and chase them back BEFORE they go over there.

2. Those parents are not going to be happy when their small child picks up your chickens' poop and does with it what every small child does with everything...
sickbyc.gif

Honestly, you seem to be planning to ignore all the good advice everybody has been giving you.
I thought that the first one was granted? If I don't want them over at the neighbors, I'll be watching them very intently
The child is 10, I thought that they should be smart then?
I am not ignoring it, I can't always understand it. :[

We really don't intend to be viscious. But, you kept asking the same question over and over, and we answered it over and over. You write very acceptable English so we assumed to understood English.

May I ask where you live?

We really don't intend to be viscious. But, you kept asking the same question over and over, and we answered it over and over. You write very acceptable English so we assumed to understood English.

May I ask where you live?
Oh yay, my English is good!
Maybe my questions were too similar. I suppose I have to clarify more.
I live in Californai.

If you don't have time or money, you can quickly make a fence or pen from deer netting. A 100 ft roll is 7 ft tall and cost $15 at Lowes or Home Depot. You can easily hang it up, nail it up, tie it up, whatever you can think of to make a pen or fence. It's not predator proof but it will keep your chickens where you want them to stay.

Back
Top Bottom