Should I let my peacocks roam free?

I lost one to the free range due to it perching on the ground. The other had died suddenly from an unknown sickness. Even if he was in the aviary he would have been exposed to it so I don't really count his loss as a result of free ranging.

I have had free roaming peacocks and never had a problem except them wanting to perch on the front porch hand rails and crap all over the floor. They want to be around people because they learn that predators stay away from people. One thing I did do was place a feeder somewhere high that they could get to and put cat food in it. They will go to it early in the morning and late in the afternoon before roosting. That 30% protein keeps them coming back. They may travel a little but that 30% protein brings them back.

Sure hope you see this, as I'm replying to an old message you posted on here. I've been looking around trying to find information about my missing peacock. He is our neighborhood peacock of 4 years now, and he has been missing for over a week. He is the only one we have, and he has been hollering for a mate, and the last time I heard him he sounded really far away. I'm just sick thinking that a predator got him, but do you know if there's any chance he might just have roamed far away looking for a mate? He's never done this. He always comes to my house every morning and every night to eat. I have been looking everywhere and have not seen any feathers or anything.

My bet would be he is off to look for a mate, breeding season changes our feathered friends, my oldest boy has entered his first breeding season, he does nothing the same as he use to, dosn't come when i call him and just wonders around at times by himself like he is looking for something, it really makes me sad to the point that i wished breeding season was over just because he changed so much.
Oh and my boy has a heram of hens to choose from
I hope you find your friend
hugs.gif
i can't imaging loosing one like that and i have 19 free rangers.
Make some flyers and put them every where and listen at night time when it is quite, if he is close he will be calling it is breeding season and it is a nightly ordeal here sounds like a bunch of women screaming
hide.gif

Where are you located, mabe someone here is close by knows of a stray pea, we have folks come and go here when they have either lost or found a pea pretty often.

Sure hope you see this, as I'm replying to an old message you posted on here. I've been looking around trying to find information about my missing peacock. He is our neighborhood peacock of 4 years now, and he has been missing for over a week. He is the only one we have, and he has been hollering for a mate, and the last time I heard him he sounded really far away. I'm just sick thinking that a predator got him, but do you know if there's any chance he might just have roamed far away looking for a mate? He's never done this. He always comes to my house every morning and every night to eat. I have been looking everywhere and have not seen any feathers or anything.
Hope you find him. If he is looking for a mate, they will often seek out chickens for lack of Peafowl. Do any people in your area have chickens? If you get him home - put a mirror up for him(be careful not to face it into the sun) and he will be a reluctant to leave his mirror, even for a mate. Also, I wrote an earlier thread about banding your peafowl using the name plates from saddelry shops, for leg bands.

Also, if its a male, you needn't worry about predators. They fly really well, roosting up high in trees at night, and have no problem staying out of trouble. The females are vulnerable during nesting, because they stay on the ground.

Your guy may just be looking for a mate, as suggested.
But if you are worried about him, there are many things you can do to try to find him: post ads on craigslist, put up flyers, call feed stores, animal control, humane society, animal rescues, local vets, etc. And then call again - you may get someone different on the phone the second time.
I don't know what kind of predators you have? But all peacocks are vulnerable to predators (not to make you worry).

I agree, KEEP calling the local police, game wardens etc..... Different operators will file the report of a peacock in all the wrong places, and then you get the right operator one time and voila- they have your birds location! So keep trying. I posted a sign on my mailbox once, and the UPS man drove up my driveway(not delivering any thing) just to tell me he saw my bird at a house he delivered a box to. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom