Should I let my peacocks roam free?

I'm in Belleville, Illinois - the west end near Frank Scott Parkway West.
Still no sign of him and I listen and don't hear anything. I've seen coyotes on the railroad tracks behind my house before, but not for a couple of years. I just keep praying every day that he's okay and that nothing got him and that he'll come back home.

I am sadly having the same problem as you Missing Peacock. Mine was due to a male either being abandoned or wondering to my house and attacking my 2 males :(. One stayed but my other fled. I am praying he comes back but I have no idea... The mean male came back and I don't know if I am going to catch him to put him in the bird sanctuary near me or what. I hope you find your boy. I know I sure do miss mine.

I could write all day but i am tired had a long day. 5 acres would be nothing for my to range off of but you can teach them where to stay by herding them back to the area you want every time they leave it, it takes time and lots of it and sometimes ya may have to refresh their memories but once they learn they pretty much stay where you want them or at least mine do. We had our road paved to the farm and first thing the peas did was try to walk to the end of it , i would run litterly down the fence row and cut them off and slowly herd them back, after that i would bring my Aussie dog and have her herd them back once she learned what we were doing every time i saw them on the road i would send my Aussie girl to fetch them up and after a few time of that they have never ventured down that way again. They are noise birds and mine will follow /chase and harass anything that does not belong here so with such small acreage they could easily follow something off your place. I do believe the younger you can get them free ranging the better, i bought an older pair and let me tell ya they had no problem walking to the back of this 100 acres but they also learned where they could and could not go, the onces i raised up and turned loose at 4 months were very cautious and it took along time before they would range far. People will tell you to keep one penned and the others will stay but i have not found that to be true here, they will go off and leave one penned no problem but if they get seperated free ranging they will call to each other. \ If you need to know anything just ask, i am in my second year with peas but have free ranged other birds for years so i have learned alot from them.

I have free range birds. I have peahens and chickens, turkey and ducks. They usually stay close to the house. We have 80+ acres but the birds always stay within eye shot. We have had a UPS truck hit one because he was speeding down my road. (they called and apologized) and I've had one become a meal to something (not sure, probably a coyote). But I've been free ranging for about 4 years and have had very good results. I taught them to come when I call them. I feed them when they come so they know where home is.

I've read over this thread and I'm still undecided about what to do with mine. Here is the story: I purchased 2 peachicks and one of them didn't last 13 hours here, as a 7 foot black snake got into my above ground coop and swallowed one. So I have 1 peachick about 2 months old. It's very afraid of me, and it lives with 6 chickens. This morning, I went to feed them, somehow I left the door open and the chickens got out. ( I free range my chickens during the day only when I'm home) So of course I freaked out that the peachick was out because they are very rare to find around here to replace. So I chased it back into the coop and it was basically crying and trying to get to it's chicken buddies. So, I felt bad and let it out.

So I'm scared that its going to run away!!! We have 30 acres. 15 cleared, 15 wooded. The coop rests on the edge of the woods, where the chickens love to dust bathe and look for bugs. I want to be able to let the peachick out on a regular basis, like I do my chickens, but I'm a little uneasy- well, very uneasy about it.

I've read over this thread and I'm still undecided about what to do with mine. Here is the story: I purchased 2 peachicks and one of them didn't last 13 hours here, as a 7 foot black snake got into my above ground coop and swallowed one. So I have 1 peachick about 2 months old. It's very afraid of me, and it lives with 6 chickens. This morning, I went to feed them, somehow I left the door open and the chickens got out. ( I free range my chickens during the day only when I'm home) So of course I freaked out that the peachick was out because they are very rare to find around here to replace. So I chased it back into the coop and it was basically crying and trying to get to it's chicken buddies. So, I felt bad and let it out.

So I'm scared that its going to run away!!! We have 30 acres. 15 cleared, 15 wooded. The coop rests on the edge of the woods, where the chickens love to dust bathe and look for bugs. I want to be able to let the peachick out on a regular basis, like I do my chickens, but I'm a little uneasy- well, very uneasy about it.
If he's bonded to the chickens- I imagine your little guy will stay close. 2 months old is still young and the mother peahen would normally be herding him around showing him how it all works and keeping him safe from predators. We have a lot of problems here with Hawks trying to grab the young birds during the day- and that's where Mom bird's experience has saved them many times. So, what I'm saying is- if your Chickens are caring for the pea chick and theres plenty of cover to run under etc, you might be okay. At his age running away isn't your problem- be nervous for his safety. As for running away- It is important to establish a consistant routine with peafowl when prepping them for free range. Peafowl will roam- more so as they get older. I have found that having them bonded to chickens really helps. Get going on a routine of calling your peachick and giving treats, ie...dried mealworms,or cooked egg yolk ... several times a day. It can be the same call you use for your chickens- just be consistant. Call + treat. When you find a treat he really likes- exploit it! You want him to associate your call with the treat he loves and give them as close to the chicken pen as possible. After he is totally hooked and trained- always, always do that call (re inforcing with treats when you can) when closing your chickens in for the evening. That way, as an adult - when he is off exploring- his internal time clock will go ding- at roosting time and he'll think ahhh..... I know where I can roost and get my favorite treat! There is no guarentee- and these threads will show you 102 different opinions, but when your little guy does grow up and starts getting wander lust- you'll breath easier having a few of these tricks established. At two months his mother would have taught him to roost up high in the cover of a tree branch at night. More importantly- He will want to get to a high perch (away from snakes) Higher than you probably supply for your chickens, If you can offer a good high perch in the chicken pen he will be happier- otherwise, don't be surprised if he doesnt want back in the pen but chooses instead to fly up into a tree or on your roof......then you have a problem. This is a picture of 6 day old chicks having flown 9-10 feet up to roost under their mother. So key to a happy peafowl is a high perch.
Good luck!

Last edited:
If he's bonded to the chickens- I imagine your little guy will stay close. 2 months old is still young and the mother peahen would normally be herding him around showing him how it all works and keeping him safe from predators. We have a lot of problems here with Hawks trying to grab the young birds during the day- and that's where Mom bird's experience has saved them many times. So, what I'm saying is- if your Chickens are caring for the pea chick and theres plenty of cover to run under etc, you might be okay. At his age running away isn't your problem- be nervous for his safety. As for running away- It is important to establish a consistant routine with peafowl when prepping them for free range. Peafowl will roam- more so as they get older. I have found that having them bonded to chickens really helps. Get going on a routine of calling your peachick and giving treats, ie...dried mealworms,or cooked egg yolk ... several times a day. It can be the same call you use for your chickens- just be consistant. Call + treat. When you find a treat he really likes- exploit it! You want him to associate your call with the treat he loves and give them as close to the chicken pen as possible. After he is totally hooked and trained- always, always do that call (re inforcing with treats when you can) when closing your chickens in for the evening. That way, as an adult - when he is off exploring- his internal time clock will go ding- at roosting time and he'll think ahhh..... I know where I can roost and get my favorite treat! There is no guarentee- and these threads will show you 102 different opinions, but when your little guy does grow up and starts getting wander lust- you'll breath easier having a few of these tricks established. At two months his mother would have taught him to roost up high in the cover of a tree branch at night. More importantly- He will want to get to a high perch (away from snakes) Higher than you probably supply for your chickens, If you can offer a good high perch in the chicken pen he will be happier- otherwise, don't be surprised if he doesnt want back in the pen but chooses instead to fly up into a tree or on your roof......then you have a problem. This is a picture of 6 day old chicks having flown 9-10 feet up to roost under their mother. So key to a happy peafowl is a high perch. Good luck!
OK this was probably more helpful than the entire thread! I thank you for that. So, two more questions- considering that the bird is completely terrified of me (even after setting in the coop floor feeding the chickens while most of them snuggle in my lap for several hours at a time) and offering treats to him, he hids the entire time behind their house. (maybe i should remove it)...any suggestions on how to calm its nerves? The only thing i know is to just give the birds time. I have some embdens who hated me for about 3 months, but now they eat out of my hand- i never forced the relationship, but always ignored them and allowed them to come to me. Secondly, does my peachick need a peachick friend? I thought they were supposed to be curious birds which surprises me of why its so terrifed of me.

If he's bonded to the chickens- I imagine your little guy will stay close. 2 months old is still young and the mother peahen would normally be herding him around showing him how it all works and keeping him safe from predators. We have a lot of problems here with Hawks trying to grab the young birds during the day- and that's where Mom bird's experience has saved them many times. So, what I'm saying is- if your Chickens are caring for the pea chick and theres plenty of cover to run under etc, you might be okay. At his age running away isn't your problem- be nervous for his safety. As for running away- It is important to establish a consistant routine with peafowl when prepping them for free range. Peafowl will roam- more so as they get older. I have found that having them bonded to chickens really helps. Get going on a routine of calling your peachick and giving treats, ie...dried mealworms,or cooked egg yolk ... several times a day. It can be the same call you use for your chickens- just be consistant. Call + treat. When you find a treat he really likes- exploit it! You want him to associate your call with the treat he loves and give them as close to the chicken pen as possible. After he is totally hooked and trained- always, always do that call (re inforcing with treats when you can) when closing your chickens in for the evening. That way, as an adult - when he is off exploring- his internal time clock will go ding- at roosting time and he'll think ahhh..... I know where I can roost and get my favorite treat! There is no guarentee- and these threads will show you 102 different opinions, but when your little guy does grow up and starts getting wander lust- you'll breath easier having a few of these tricks established. At two months his mother would have taught him to roost up high in the cover of a tree branch at night. More importantly- He will want to get to a high perch (away from snakes) Higher than you probably supply for your chickens, If you can offer a good high perch in the chicken pen he will be happier- otherwise, don't be surprised if he doesnt want back in the pen but chooses instead to fly up into a tree or on your roof......then you have a problem. This is a picture of 6 day old chicks having flown 9-10 feet up to roost under their mother. So key to a happy peafowl is a high perch. Good luck!
Oh! and yes, i do offer it (him??herr???) several perches inside of the coop that it can fly to and it choses the one that's about 6 foot in the air!

OK this was probably more helpful than the entire thread! I thank you for that. So, two more questions- considering that the bird is completely terrified of me (even after setting in the coop floor feeding the chickens while most of them snuggle in my lap for several hours at a time) and offering treats to him, he hids the entire time behind their house. (maybe i should remove it)...any suggestions on how to calm its nerves? The only thing i know is to just give the birds time. I have some embdens who hated me for about 3 months, but now they eat out of my hand- i never forced the relationship, but always ignored them and allowed them to come to me.

Secondly, does my peachick need a peachick friend? I thought they were supposed to be curious birds which surprises me of why its so terrifed of me.
Peafowl can take time. It probably would help if you got a second peachick. I have hatched out and hand raised one peachick before and that worked out well because he was imprinted to me. I could see one that was not imprinted to you being scared and that is when another one probably could help. Peafowl are curious, but also they are not as tame as chickens. To me it seems the only way to have a peafowl that will sit in your lap and let you pet it a lot is if you have hatched it out and hand raised it yourself spending lots of time with it, and it also depends on the bird's personality. New peafowl are always skittish and will often try and get as far away from you as you can. It takes time for you to earn their trust but treats are a wonderful way to earn their trust. You can sit on something in the pen at one end so that the peachick can get as far away from you as it wants. If it has a treat that it really likes as msmolly said, you can use that to get the peachick to get close to you. Give some to the peachick on the ground, and then the only way for it to get more is to take the treats from your hand. If you do get a second peachick, try and find one from a person who has spent time with it to make it used to people. If you can find a peachick that is calm around people, the peachick you currently have will see this and will learn from the other chick that you are nothing to be afraid of. I don't know if taking the house away is a good idea. It could scare the peachick even more because they like having places to hide if they are afraid. When I got my very first pair of peafowl the peahen would fly up into a dog box and hide in there when I was in the pen. They will come out from hiding in their own time to get treats. It gets much easier once you have at least one peafowl that will eat out of your hand.
Often I like to sit down in the pen and the peafowl walk up to me and sometimes lay down and nap next to me. The peacock closest to me in the photo is Peep, the peacock I hand raised and the other peacock is Alto, a peacock I got as a yearling peacock who gets very close to me and sometimes pecks me (in the photo he was pecking my feet) and he eats out of my hand all the time. Once he even let me and my boyfriend pet him but that was a one time thing as now he acts like he doesn't allow petting and walks off if you reach out to touch him.

Hi Khawks- I'm not sure why your little guy is scared. I once had 2 female peachicks I worked with a lot as babies- came from 2 different sources. One was always timid and one was always friendly. Don't know why. Could be the nature of the beast, could be age or could be enviroment. At his age he needs to feel secure in his safety and surroundings. Your little guy may be timid and flighty if he feels unsafe. Can you make any of your chickens his personal nanny? Seperate them together so he's never alone, and never odd man out with the chickens? You can find a friend or two for him through the UPA website (or here on BYC) UPA is United Peafowl Assoc. The website will list breeders by state. Find some one in your vicinity and contact them for help or info. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom