Should I let my peacocks roam free?

How far will they wander? I've had a pair for over a week now. No neighbour has claimed them they showed up one day in my chicken run. They eat in the coop and get along well with the chickens. Seem to be a young pair. Unsure of people. Will get within 10 feet for food but otherwise keep their distance. Was planning to build a setup for them if they are still here going into winter.
They will wonder as far as their pea brains will take them (miles) and if something spooks them along the way and they fly into unfamilar territoty they could be lost forever as they walk most place and fly when they are scared or ready to roost

They will wonder as far as their pea brains will take them (miles) and if something spooks them along the way and they fly into unfamilar territoty they could be lost forever as they walk most place and fly when they are scared or ready to roost

X2 on this! Whenever I have someone "Pea-sit" for me, I always tell them that if any of the birds accidentally get out of the pens just prop the pen door open and leave them alone. If chased, they may fly and then the chances of them finding their way back shrink considerably.

I think it depends on where one lives - I have 40 acres but a busy road. My whites that I raised from chicks do not roam far from their pen nor do my India Blue females. Got two new India Blue males two weeks ago and they both escaped. One was sighted atop a 30' electric pole but one was glad to come back into the barn out of the rain.

These males were very calm until the first full moon and then it was like they were hyper - that's when they escaped. Not sure I will ever let them free range, much as I would love to do so.

Yes! I have a family of 4. Three hens and one cock. I live on 12 acres and they are a joy! Pure joy! They eat bugs, they call to one another, and are beautiful! The only thing that is bad, is they eat my flowers. I love flowers and so do they. If you home them properly, they will stay home. I have 6 dogs and horses and they all get along. I have huge trees where they roost at night. Enjoy! I think they have a far better life than to be in a cage.

I have a pair of peafowl that I have raised from chicks that are now 2 yrs old. Today they took off down the road and didn't come back tonight. They have never roamed this far or not been in their pen before. Any suggestions or advice?

I have a pair of peafowl that I have raised from chicks that are now 2 yrs old. Today they took off down the road and didn't come back tonight. They have never roamed this far or not been in their pen before. Any suggestions or advice?
Time to start calling neighbors and posting lost signs at local stores.

Time to start calling neighbors and posting lost signs at local stores.

sad.png

Also useful to call local animal control, humane society, vets, feed stores, wildlife rescues, and post on your local craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom