Show me/ tell me abt your micro/mini homestead

Welp...we did a thing at the pleading of my 15yo ...

Let the adventures begin...

Attachments

• 20230525_112908.jpg
    20230525_112908.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 6
Ooh I'm here for the homesteading Convo! I only have 1/4 acre but I'm doing what I can with what I have.

In 5b we've got apples, peaches, and pears, mulberry, pawpaw, hazelnut, gooseberry, currant, goji berry, service berry, honey berry, aronia, blackberry, raspberry, Nanking cherry, sour cherry, bush cherry, grapes. This year I'm working on a perennial/reseeding greens garden including sorrel, claytonia, cottagers kale, stargrass, wild arugula, etc. I'm also working on a medicinal type garden but it's hard to find reputable, science backed sources.

We've had quail for awhile, this year we added chickens. I'd also like to have rabbits but that's probably a next year project.

Other projects are of course composting and rain barrels. I would love to try solar at some point but that sounds expensive lol

Ooh I'm here for the homesteading Convo! I only have 1/4 acre but I'm doing what I can with what I have.

In 5b we've got apples, peaches, and pears, mulberry, pawpaw, hazelnut, gooseberry, currant, goji berry, service berry, honey berry, aronia, blackberry, raspberry, Nanking cherry, sour cherry, bush cherry, grapes. This year I'm working on a perennial/reseeding greens garden including sorrel, claytonia, cottagers kale, stargrass, wild arugula, etc. I'm also working on a medicinal type garden but it's hard to find reputable, science backed sources.

We've had quail for awhile, this year we added chickens. I'd also like to have rabbits but that's probably a next year project.

Other projects are of course composting and rain barrels. I would love to try solar at some point but that sounds expensive lol
I am loving all of that!!!
I find it incredibly fun and challenging to make my piece of property work for us . In the best way possible of course!!

We've already decided we need a better system for the hogs so ...add that to the project list...

We won't be getting more till we figure that out...

I am in zone 6b. I've not started any fruit trees yet.. but have plans...

Started integrating the chicks I got last wk....they were a dollar a piece and I bought 8 of them. They were not the best looking...missing feathers all over...but they and the big girls seem to not mind each other.

I started letting them into the big run bc yesterday abt 4 of them found their way outta their area into the big run with the ladies, and one lady found her way into the little run....no issues arose...sooooo why not...🤣🤣🤣

Anyone else ever notice...there's always something to be done ...😂😂

Attachments

• 20230525_134940.jpg
    20230525_134940.jpg
    954.3 KB · Views: 5
I got the wood to start the shed yesterday!!! Woot woot...pretty excited abt this project.

I am even more excited bc my husband had a FABULOUS idea!!!

We have a good sized concrete pad where a chicken house used to be. We are gonna put our next hogs there....

Our first hog tore the ground up so much, we couldn't get in the pen whenever we needed to. Not only that, he tore up a lot of the fencing that was used.

Using the concrete will eliminate the ability to dig out, clean up would be much easier. We will be able to enter and exit at ease. In general their care will be easier.

Which now means I have a pig pen to set up too bc we will get our next piglets in September. I also have the goat pasture to extend into the previous pig pen which will give them AMPLE room...but will also allow me to close one side or the other off...to allow it to recover. There are houses in what would be both halves of their pen/pasture.

With the expansion for the goats I did promise the husband that I have no intention on getting anymore goats lol.

So weve started on our shed!!! We are a use and reuse type of family!! I am still using branches i used at my wedding as the "base" for my cordless chandliers 2 yrs ago. in fact they are hanging on the side of my chicken chalet as outdoor roosts.
20230330_150859.jpg

20230330_150740.jpg

20230329_170336.jpg

Point being, the shed is being made from pallets!!! I built the Chicken Chalet out of pallets which then led to the shed...

20230228_181320.jpg

When we started on our property it had no buildings...NONE....
We now have an 8x8 Hen Hut, a 10x10 Chicken Chalet, we have an 8x8 Goat Garage and a second 4x8 shelter in their area (dont wanna call it a pasture as when i think pasture i think ACERAGE!) And we will have a nice sized area for the Pig Palace.

we are now building a 20x20 shed.
We have 4 walls of 14...(5th one is made!!! ) its been so so hot!!! But i am so so excited lol...
20230603_161729.jpg

Hopefully the micro homestead life/dreams are going well for everyone...

We have gotten our shed up. We are gonna go tear metal off a roof for friends...and theybdaid as a trade off We can have the metal for the shed!!!! Yes!!! Yay for saving like 600 bucks!!!!

20230607_152741.jpg

The ducks are growing like crazy!!! They had their first real swim yesterday. My husband and I laughed and laughed bc we never figured on having ducks in our bath tub lol

Screenshot_20230612_034634_Gallery.jpg

My little black sexlinks are integrated and sharing the coop, food, water and run well!!!

I'll be downsizing that coop as soon as my second coop starts to lay (here in a month or 2)

I've been clicker training the goats!!! It's going wonderfully!!!

Since I've started they've become increasingly friendly with me!!

20230605_180954.jpg

My husband brought home a pheasant which we promptly found a new home for as we are NOT set up for pheasants!
20230606_140811.jpg

It's unfortunate but Frankie escaped and the new owner can not find him anywhere...😭

The garden is flourishing...its looking so good!!
Peas, greenbeans, tomatoes, asparagus, Strawberries, Peppers, Cabbage, Sunflowers, Watermelon, Cucumbers are all putting off well!!!

20230604_160540.jpg

Back
Top Bottom