Show Me Your Feeders!!

Good luck let me know how it works, keep your fingers crossed.

Hey jetdog,

Just wanted to let you know that the bucket has been in place for a couple days and seems to be working great! 5 gallons of food will last my 5 chickens about a month, so this will make feeding in the winter a lot easier on me!!!

Thanks for posting this great idea. I'm curious how you came up with it???

In retrospect I guess bears would be attracted to spilt food as well. Our dogs have chased two off so far today.. I chalked it up to the season, which gets me thinking they will be scrounging. And spill free is better the the chickI like that PVC Idea. Thanks.

I wanted a bulk system that would serve it's duty in the run and inside the coop while minimizing it's footprint. I ended up hanging a box on the outside of the hen house that dropped into a feeder. On the wall it was hanging on I cut a long narrow hole and put a tray underneath it to deliver food to the inside of the coop during the times when the birds are locked inside due to weather or whatever. Since typical summers here hit somewhere around 500% humidity, I lined the box with plastic, sealed it tight with caulk, and used a foam gasket around the top of the lid to keep moisture out. I even have a window on the front to let me know when it is getting low. If I filled it to the brim it would hold about 75 lbs of food, which is overkill for our flock of 7.

Inside the run area.

The lid

The window lets me see the level inside so I know when to go to the feed store.

This gives them feed when locked inside. The shelf above serves double-duty to store food, scratch, etc., and it is a poop deflector for the food. Works really well.

I have 5 girls and feed them each morning from a large stone bowl with the little feeder top (the top with holes in it that goes to a regular feeder for little chicks) pushed lightly into the feed. It prevents them from scratching the feed everywhere and keeps them eating from their own little hole. Works for them.

Hang it high so only they can just reach it to feed...if you cannot hang it then put up in the air by stacking bricks or boards...it cures the problem. I bought two of those Grandpa Feeders...took them a long time to get the hang of it but now the feeders are doing their job. It cut down on wild birds eating our feed and they are cleaner too. Chickens step on bottom step which opens lid...lid closes as they step away...easy to make too if you're handy! Hope this helps! Different brands out there...go for the cheapest!! They can be costly. One I think is called Chickateria....or something like that. Check Ebay!

Last edited:
YOGIFINK: Great idea...but see all the lost feed on the ground? I have 50 chickens...costs me a lot on lost feed. I came up with a better solution...see my addition to this group! It worked for me!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom