Show Me Your Feeders!!

I've loved seeing everyone's creations. Here's what works for me:

It's a 2' length of 4" diameter schedule 35 PVC (drainpipe) with a cap on the top, a downspout tie-in fitting on the bottom with a 4" deck post cap attached to the fitting. I drilled holes in the back, put zip ties through them and hook the feeder to the wire of the coop with s-shaped carabiners.

I love this feeder because it doesn't rely on food traveling around a bend. Totally recommend it for those with small flocks.

WalkingWolf1 and to others it may concern: Top pic of open metal barrel type feeder? I had a chicken jump inside to gain feed while others stayed on floor eating like ladies...unfortunately she could not get out and expelled inside. This happened in one day...probably stress! I never leave my feeders open for this to happen again...put newspaper or lid or a piece of wood over it to keep this from happening to you. I now use this style for chicks and my grown chickens I have opted for Chookateria or Grandpa feeders and have not had another such problem.

sissyrme, I like your feeder, and I can see where you would save a bit on lost feed. I am a big advocate of repurposing stuff around the house to save a buck, hence the use of an old bucket. I have been planning to add a tray or something to the bottom of the bucket to catch falling food, ideas?

How would you go about making your feeder out of scrap wood?

Last edited:
Quote:
What is a GrandPa feeder? I have never heard of one of those before and now I see it twice in one day. Do you have a picture you can post?

yogifink, wooden feeders don't work real well as they have a tendency to absorb moisture over time and then mold starts to develop. Plastic materials are a much better choice.
With that said before someone jumps on me, some folks do build large feeders that attach to the wall and have lids at the top to fill them and little troughs at the bottom for the feed to fall into where the birds eat. Most of these are totally inside and the people that build them are happy with the way they work.

Last edited:

Hang it high so only they can just reach it to feed...if you cannot hang it then put up in the air by stacking bricks or boards...it cures the problem. I bought two of those Grandpa Feeders...took them a long time to get the hang of it but now the feeders are doing their job. It cut down on wild birds eating our feed and they are cleaner too. Chickens step on bottom step which opens lid...lid closes as they step away...easy to make too if you're handy! Hope this helps! Different brands out there...go for the cheapest!! They can be costly. One I think is called Chickateria....or something like that. Check Ebay!

I got this feeder but my chickens refuse to use it. They started off sort of ok and then halfway through the second week they stopped standing on the step and would only stand and lean in and get what they could that way. :;sigh:: Very disappointing because I wanted the weather proof, freeloader proof feeder. Not sure what to do now.

I use a three foot section of vinyl rain gutter I picked up at the Habitat for Humanity resale shop for $1. I mix a little water in the dry feed before I scoop it in the trough and they cannot fling it out. Probably saves one third of the feed from just waste.

I feed them evenings only and enough to make it to about 3:00 the next afternoon.

I was thinking about using the 2 inch fitting but I didn't think the girls would feel comfortable putting their heads in such a small hole because they have rather large combs and wattles, Looks good and works great love this feeder.

I agree JetDog -- I'm thinking for growing birds out for slaughter I'll possibly use the 2". The 3" would work but I think 3 around the bucket would be what you could comfortably fit.

Back
Top Bottom