Show Me Your Feeders!!

I liked the idea Built my own the only difference is I cut a piece of plywood to fit in the bottom held in with a clean out adapter. to keep the feed from going to the bottom of the Y pipe.Works great. I wanted to switch to pellets and got a coupon from Purena for Layena Omega 3 pellets .I was surprised they love it and are not eating much of the Layena crumbles anymore I think I'll make another one for inside the coop.
Vinnie

Hi...love the feeder idea, but have a question. The pipe that you insert into the bucket, I'm assuming it is curving downward and shouldn't be no more than 3/4" from the bottom. Is this correct? I read something about the "Y" and food maybe getting stale in the feeder. What is the "Y".

Thanks,
Gayle

Hi...love the feeder idea, but have a question. The pipe that you insert into the bucket, I'm assuming it is curving downward and shouldn't be no more than 3/4" from the bottom. Is this correct? I read something about the "Y" and food maybe getting stale in the feeder. What is the "Y".

Thanks,
Gayle

Yes the "5 gallon bucket feeder" uses ONLY a 90 degree elbow that's 3/4" off the bottom of the bucket. Cut the end of the elbow off at the red line (see pic below) and stick the CUT END into the bucket and about 3/4" off the bottom. Silicone around inside and out, put the top on the bucket and you're set!

I think that the conversation about the "Y" is for an entirely different feeder.

Here's what she looks like....... and let me say..... the is the ABSOLUTE BEST feeder there is. No waste (at all) and only need to fill it about 1 time per month (for 5 chickens). It holds about 25 lbs of food!

Last edited:
Roughly what is the measurement from the bottom of the bucket to the lower edge of the cut hole?
It really depends on how long you cut your elbow. The hole should be so when you insert the elbow the bottom of the ell is 1/2 to 3/4 Inch over the bottom of the bucket. It would be easier to guess where the center of the hole would be instead of the bottom of the hole in the bucket.

The opening in the ell is about 4", half of that is 2". You cut the ell about 1.5" below the opening and the bottom of the ell should be 1/2' off the bottom of the bucket. Add up 2 + 1.5 + 1/2 and that tells you the center of the hole should be about 3" from the bottom of the bucket. This will very if you cut your ell longer or shorter and if you want more or less clearance in the bucket for the feed to go under the ell.

I hope I figured that right, if I didn't someone else step in and help out.

Cut the elbows like Jimmy said, I turned the elbow around and placed it on the side of the bucket and by eeyeballing it you can see how far off the bottom it will be, mark the bottom edge with a sharpy if you use a 3inch from the line it should be 1 1/2 inches as a starting point for the holesaw.Check twice and cut once.

Seems to me a person is going too have to dump out the feed once in while just to keep things fresh in the bucket. The feed that is not near the elbow and can not be reached by the chicken will stay there and get old. Just a thought!!!

Scott

What's the difference if the food is sitting in the garage in a metal storage container waiting for a smaller feeder to run out before you go and get more to refill it, guess there isn't much of a difference huh.

Quote:
No difference really. We each have our own reasons/philosophies and why we choose the feeders we choose. This is the third "type" I've tried and I was simply tired of the feed getting wet in the galvanized bucket rim-feeder type. I do have the feeder under a roof but with the occasional blowing rain (I live on the Gulf Coast) the feed would get wet. While exploring other options I liked the larger capacity of the 5 gallon bucket but went with the feeder because of the design. I have since modified my feeder "fonts" since I posted my original pictures and it is working much better. Regarding the feed getting old you simply spread the feed out and let them eat it before refilling it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom