Show Me Your Feeders!!

Pics
loneoak and to all similiar-thinking folk:
first off, have you been to nyc and met the GIGANTIC chicken-keeping communities in brooklyn,bronx, upstate, and long island? and exotic animal keepers everywhere here?? YALL aint the only people good at most things. in nyc we are a very intelligent , fast-learning and technically advanced society-the problem isnt that we city folk are too stupid or larger than life to know anything about throwing eggs into a hova bator or feeding a goat hay, its the stupid politicians, local laws and zoning laws that ban us from having, yes, what most of you have had for multi-generations: acreage, most livestock, freedom in general, etc. but dont cry for us-we flout around the laws so we can have a little fun raising our flocks in apartments and forget to buy that silly $50 yearly game breeders license. anything YOU want to know in case a relative breaks tradition and moves the big city, youll need us unempathetic and tablet-faced folk to walk you through tough neighborhoods while we are adding water and turning our eggs...
That was sad.

loneoak and to all similiar-thinking folk:

first off, have you been to nyc and met the GIGANTIC chicken-keeping communities in brooklyn,bronx, upstate, and long island? and exotic animal keepers everywhere here?? YALL aint the only people good at most things. in nyc we are a very intelligent , fast-learning and technically advanced society-the problem isnt that we city folk are too stupid or larger than life to know anything about throwing eggs into a hova bator or feeding a goat hay, its the stupid politicians, local laws and zoning laws that ban us from having, yes, what most of you have had for multi-generations: acreage, most livestock, freedom in general, etc. but dont cry for us-we flout around the laws so we can have a little fun raising our flocks in apartments and forget to buy that silly $50 yearly game breeders license. anything YOU want to know in case a relative breaks tradition and moves the big city, youll need us unempathetic and tablet-faced folk to walk you through tough neighborhoods while we are adding water and turning our eggs...

stormseeker, I have to agree with you that the politicians are most definitely the biggest problem we all face.  That entire post was meant to just be a funny jest towards no one in particular while reminiscing about how easier life was when I was young.  It wasn't my intentions to call anyone out and say they lacked abilities to raise chickens.  I could have used Atlanta, Boston or even the entire population of intown Cobb Ct here in the Atlanta Metro that can't raise chickens in their backyards (because of stupid zoning laws), as an example of folks who can't raise chickens.  It was all just a joke pointed at no one in particular.  I would love to get a chance to come visit the big city and take a tour with you to see how ya'll raise your birds and gather your eggs.

aw ok, man ,humor is perfect didnt mean to sqwawk off on no one while i still couldve made a point-was venting more at what we cannot do down here as our politicians hate us for any tradition fun and things, but gotta stick it out til i can finally get some acreage 2 hours drive. my wrong you are right and ty for the facepalm. sure folks, come down so we all throw down.

lau.gif
from up state Ny

18 chickens- how many buckets with how many feeder "elbows" in each?
I would like to know this too. We made a feeder like these and used a 4in elbow and 5 gallon bucket. I can only fit 1 elbow in the bucket. How many chickens could I expect this to be able to feed. I love the design, but wonder how many of them I need to make for 20 chickens.

I would like to know this too. We made a feeder like these and used a 4in elbow and 5 gallon bucket. I can only fit 1 elbow in the bucket. How many chickens could I expect this to be able to feed. I love the design, but wonder how many of them I need to make for 20 chickens.
TWO, and remember that this is not an exact science. Some may need more and it may be to many for others. I have 25 birds in one coop with a bucket elbow feeder outside and a standard hanging feeder inside. Sometimes the old standard feeder empties first and next week the bucket will empty first.

Here is the feeder I just built the other day. I wanted a feeder that would sit in between the studs in the coop I just built so it doesn't take up too mush room. I also wanted a "window to keep the levels in check and the birds happily fed. It is 33" high, 12" wide and 3 1/2 inches think. Painted to match the coop interior and installed 2 latches so I can remove for filling and cleaning etc.. All materials were acquired for free through craigslist scavenging (except for the 2 latches that hold it in place).

Here you can see where I angled the food towards the dish and the "plate" I made to try to keep them from scratching it all over the place. (later I cut the holes out to make 1 large oval to let it feed right) They didn't have enough room to peck at it and let the food tirckle down correctly.

Here it is before the glass piece was slid in, ready for a trial run.

Here it is installed but missing the plate, with them pecking around the dish it fed down the shoot great.

The oval plate (not pictured worked great, little spilled food and helps to keep them from walking and pooping in it)
It pops right out for cleaning and refilling, enough food for about a week for 4, 10 week old birds, 2 red star, 2 black australorps.

18 chickens- how many buckets with how many feeder "elbows" in each?

I made 2 bucket feeders with three 3" elbows in each bucket. I had 21 chickens, and two buckets were plenty. I have recently sold 6 chickens (I just had too many), and am thinking about taking out 1 of the buckets. One bucket empties faster than the other one, so I take it out until the other one is empty then refill them both.

If you use the 3" elbows, and move them around a little, you could probably put 4 of them in the bucket.

Last edited:
Here is the feeder I just built the other day. I wanted a feeder that would sit in between the studs in the coop I just built so it doesn't take up too mush room. I also wanted a "window to keep the levels in check and the birds happily fed. It is 33" high, 12" wide and 3 1/2 inches think. Painted to match the coop interior and installed 2 latches so I can remove for filling and cleaning etc.. All materials were acquired for free through craigslist scavenging (except for the 2 latches that hold it in place).

Here you can see where I angled the food towards the dish and the "plate" I made to try to keep them from scratching it all over the place. (later I cut the holes out to make 1 large oval to let it feed right) They didn't have enough room to peck at it and let the food tirckle down correctly.

Here it is before the glass piece was slid in, ready for a trial run.

Here it is installed but missing the plate, with them pecking around the dish it fed down the shoot great.

The oval plate (not pictured worked great, little spilled food and helps to keep them from walking and pooping in it)
It pops right out for cleaning and refilling, enough food for about a week for 4, 10 week old birds, 2 red star, 2 black australorps.
That is amazing! I'm looking around for an idea for a large-scale feeder, since I have 60ish birds in the same coop and go through a 50 lb bag of feed in 3 days, and this is a great design to upscale. These little bucket ideas just ain't gonna cut it lol. I'm sure I couldn't make something that spiffy, but wanted to compliment nonetheless. Awesome feeder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom